What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (2 Viewers)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
The Cameraman, Swing Time and possibly Show Boat '36 from Criterion and another 30s title coming from WAC? I don't know what happened to FINALLY light the fire under Warner to let somebody back into the vault for some more 30s (and even 20s!!) titles, but it sure sounds like I had better start saving up to buy these and help convince Warner to keep going!
img_1544.png
;)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Finally Astaire and Rogers on blu ray. Glad they are starting with my favorite of their films though I suspect most people's favorite is "Top Hat" If "Top Hat" comes to blu I bet you will be able to count the feathers flying off Ginger's gown.
EzHLCBjl22SE5gjampFrkpS7SCKJmA_large.jpg

Swing Time
SPECIAL FEATURES
New 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
Audio commentary from 1986 featuring John Mueller, author of Astaire Dancing: The Musical Films
Archival interviews with performers Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers and choreographer Hermes Pan
New interview with George Stevens Jr.
In Full Swing, a new program on the film’s choreography and soundtrack featuring jazz and film critic Gary Giddins, dance critic Brian Seibert, and Dorothy Fields biographer Deborah Grace Winer
New interview with film scholar Mia Mask on the “Bojangles of Harlem” number
PLUS: An essay by critic Imogen Sara Smith
New cover by Raphael Geroni

Last edited:

Harold Chasen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
I was REALLY looking forward to Swing Time - until I watched the clip on Criterion's website. If that's representative of how it will look on Blu-Ray, I can stick with the DVD. I will, of course, reserve judgment until the actual Blu-Ray is available, but I won't be pre-ordering this (as I had planned to) until I learn more.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
"Swing Time". Finally.
And it's not just an Astaire and Rogers film, it's also another precious work by the great George Stevens.
Just one question - but not a complaint - I wonder why an older title such as "The Cameraman" is able to produce or withstand a 4K transfer, while an even younger title; such as "Swing Time"; limits out to a 2K? Obviously, Criterion will always shoot for their very best; but I wonder, what are the factoring points that dictates either numbers? Either way, "Swing Time" is a purchase for me.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Oh, I almost forgot, Criterion;
could you also make 2019 the year of "Bringing Up Baby" and "The Circus", as well?:)

Last edited:

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Swing Time is of course my very favourite Fred and Ginger movie. I could watch the 'Pick Yourself Up' sequence endlessly! Fred is so insouciant and Ginger so unbelievably sexy.
And that jacket image shown in the thread instantly becomes my computer wallpaper.
But .....BRING ON THE OTHERS

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
A pity that the DEATH IN VENICE bluray quality didn't match the usual standards that we are used to with Criterion releases. The opening looked very grainy. One of the extras had unreadable subtitles-white subtitles against a white (snow) background.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks