What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (3 Viewers)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
The Brood! That and Mulholland Drive for me, though it's a shame the pilot version isn't listed as an extra. I'll probably bite on the "My Own Private Idaho" upgrade as well. (and maybe Kwaidan. It would be a blind buy, but I'm curious.:) )

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Russell G said:
The Brood! That and Mulholland Drive for me, though it's a shame the pilot version isn't listed as an extra. I'll probably bite on the "My Own Private Idaho" upgrade as well. (and maybe Kwaidan. It would be a blind buy, but I'm curious. :) )
Kwaidan is a great film. Probably the best of the lot and my favorite announcement Criterion has made this year.

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
Not sure about "My Own Private Idaho" but count me for the others particularly "Kwaidan" and "Mulholland Drive" which I will pick up day one and the rest at the B&N sale in November.

Regards,

SeanAx

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean Axmaker
TravisR said:
Why no commentary on Mulholland Dr.?

David Lynch does not like commentary on his films, just as he does not like chapter stops. Criterion honors the wishes of the directors it works with.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
SeanAx said:
David Lynch does not like commentary on his films, just as he does not like chapter stops. Criterion honors the wishes of the directors it works with.
I was just making a joke. :) What's always been weird to me about his "anti-commentary" stance is that he does interviews on his discs and gives the same exact info that would be on a commentary anyway.

SeanAx

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean Axmaker
TravisR said:
I was just making a joke. :) What's always been weird to me about his "anti-commentary" stance is that he does interviews on his discs and gives the same exact info that would be on a commentary anyway.

It's just like they say: you don't always catch sarcasm on the web. :)

I asked Lynch about why he does interviews but not commentary. His answer was a good one:

You have of course never done a commentary track, but you do load up the Inland Empire disc with a lot of interesting extras and the “Stories” section could almost be a stand-alone commentary because you talk about so many things around the film.

I believe talking is okay separate from a thing, but a commentary track that goes along through a film, I think is maybe the worst possible thing a person could do. From then on, the film is seen in terms of the memory of that commentary and it changes things forever. Things are rounded if they’re separate. Stories surrounding a film or things surrounding it, that’s a different kind a thing and I think those things are okay.

http://parallax-view.org/2011/11/08/interview-david-lynch-on-inland-empire-ii-the-dvd/

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Dr Griffin said:
What are the thoughts here for Criterion possibly upgrading Spartacus to BD?
I don't see it happening. Since it's a high profile movie from a legendary director, it must be expensive for Criterion to license it so given the cost and the fact that there will already be an existing 'good' disc that is direct competition and costs about half the price, maybe Criterion decided to pass.

Have all the Universal Criterion titles been released prior to Universal's releases of the same movies? If so, that could be a sign that a Criterion release is not happening.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
TravisR said:
Have all the Universal Criterion titles been released prior to Universal's releases of the same movies? If so, that could be a sign that a Criterion release is not happening.

Again, Traffic, Moonrise Kingdom, and Brazil came out on Blu from Universal first so there is no precedent.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks