What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (2 Viewers)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Speedy was hinted among on the holiday/new year's newsletter teaser.

I'm guessing we'll get more Lloyd by the end of the year.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
AnthonyClarke said:
My 'Room with a View' Blu ray from Umbrella in Australia is very serviceable so, given the lack of extras on the Criterion forthcoming release, there's no need to double-dip on this very pleasing movie.
Well, if you LOVE the movie very much, I have a hunch and hope the new restoration from 4K scan will be much better, so it'd be worth it.

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Konstantinos said:
SO HAPPY!!

It seems the thing with Merchant-Ivory was settled and we get Room with a View!!

Now let's hope for Maurice too!

http://www.criterion.com/films/28597-a-room-with-a-view

775_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

Man, I was just imagining the wide gulf between the sort of theater audience I saw Room With A View with, and the typical audience for Jurassic World.

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
atfree said:
= the reason catalog titles don't sell that well.

Sad, but all too true. And we can bet that Jurassic World will also achieve sales records, (like fastest selling) in some categories, when its issued on DVD and Blu-ray. And a pretty high percentage of disc playings of the movie will be by people under 10 or 12 years old.

Back in the summer of 1994, I had a friend whose 6 or 7 year old son played the VHS of the original Jurassic Park every day. But, then again, when I was a little kid, I was crazy about dinosaurs, too.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Mike Boone said:
Man, I was just imagining the wide gulf between the sort of theater audience I saw Room With A View with, and the typical audience for Jurassic World.

To be fair...

The Karate Kid II

Back to School

The Golden Child

Police Academy 3

Soul Man

...all significantly outgrossed A Room with a View in the year it was released.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Nothing for me except perhaps The Honeymoon Killers, which is just a bit interesting. Things like The Apu Trilogy are more my cup of tea. Often wonder why I even check in with them anymore. Still, there's always MoC/Eureka and Network.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Worth said:
To be fair...

The Karate Kid II

Back to School

The Golden Child

Police Academy 3

Soul Man

This year's top-grossing arthouse release, WOMAN OF GOLD (about $30M), was outgrossed by JURASSIC WORLD ten minutes into its release. :) So it goes. More JURASSIC WORLDs will be made...and more movies like WOMAN OF GOLD, too, a hit for its audience.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
The thing about those high grossers is that they all appeal to kids as well as adolescents and adults. Then you have the major multi-million dollar marketing campaigns.

A film like A Room With A View appeals strictly to adults, in addition it likely had limited booking and advertising when it was first released due to it's technical branding as an arthouse film.

Apples and oranges.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Gee another ho hum list ,and have they given up doing Booklets ,the last batch I got all had foldouts ,there's no need for those boxes with foldouts

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Worth said:
To be fair...

The Karate Kid II

Back to School

The Golden Child

Police Academy 3

Soul Man

Hey Worth, you put up one more list like that, and after finally having dumped out the beer I had last week, it might seem like I picked the wrong month to quit drinking, after all. Oh well, your list isn't too depressing, because we did enjoy Back to School when my wife (then girlfriend) and I saw it at a drive-in double feature with Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins.

Cine_Capsulas

Second Unit
Real Name
Patrick
Mike Boone said:
Sad, but all too true. And we can bet that Jurassic World will also achieve sales records, (like fastest selling) in some categories, when its issued on DVD and Blu-ray. And a pretty high percentage of disc playings of the movie will be by people under 10 or 12 years old.

Back in the summer of 1994, I had a friend whose 6 or 7 year old son played the VHS of the original Jurassic Park every day. But, then again, when I was a little kid, I was crazy about dinosaurs, too.

Sorry, my theatrical showing was at full capacity and there were no kids at all, mostly adults or young adults who loved the first film.

It is way too violent for little kids.

And a surprise: there are actual adults who like dinosaurs, too. They're fascinating extinct animals, not just cartoon-fodder.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
JoHud said:
A film like A Room With A View appeals strictly to adults,
well, I saw the film in my teens and loved it.

of course at that age, i was trying to expand my cinematic horizons.

Now, after a long gap, I'm trying again..

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
As mentioned in the dedicated ROOM WITH A VIEW thread, this release does not mean a rapproachment between Merchant/Ivory and Criterion. The rights to VIEW reverted back to Goldcrest, who have licensed it through Westchester Films to Criterion; M/I have no involvement.

On the upside, this means some classic Goldcrest projects could make their way to Criterion in the future. Such as Martin Rosen's WATERSHIP DOWN followup THE PLAGUE DOGS, Jerzy Skolimowski's MOONLIGHTING...maybe, just maybe, even LOCAL HERO...

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Mike Boone said:

Cremildo said:
Sorry, my theatrical showing was at full capacity and there were no kids at all, mostly adults or young adults who loved the first film.

It is way too violent for little kids.

And a surprise: there are actual adults who like dinosaurs, too. They're fascinating extinct animals, not just cartoon-fodder.
I went to the original on release day and the theater (Asheville, NC) was packed with families including a ton of kids under 10.

When The Lost World: Jurassic Park came out in '97, we took our then 6-year old son to see it (he had already seen the first one on VHS earlier that year) and again the theater (again, in Asheville NC) was packed with families and kids under 10. Just as 14 year olds go see "R" rated films regularly (just go to the local multiplex on a Friday or Saturday), younger kids go see PG-13 films all the time. Every kid is different....I saw The Exorcist in the theater in 1973 at the age of 10.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Also James Ivory has little if anything to do with his company so I wouldn't take his involvement with the release as any positive sign.

Frankly I don't even know who runs Merchant/Ivory now with Ismail Merchant being six feet under and all.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Mark Edward Heuck said:
As mentioned in the dedicated ROOM WITH A VIEW thread, this release does not mean a rapproachment between Merchant/Ivory and Criterion. The rights to VIEW reverted back to Goldcrest, who have licensed it through Westchester Films to Criterion; M/I have no involvement.

On the upside, this means some classic Goldcrest projects could make their way to Criterion in the future. Such as Martin Rosen's WATERSHIP DOWN followup THE PLAGUE DOGS, Jerzy Skolimowski's MOONLIGHTING...maybe, just maybe, even LOCAL HERO...
You must have missed it, B2MP released Skolimowski's MOONLIGHTING on Blu-ray last month

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks