What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (3 Viewers)

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
Othello is the one Welles title Beatrice actually legally owns. And the only version she will authorize, which was recently re-issued on French BD with corrected audio is the recut and rescored version (eliminating Welles' original Mandolin score)that was originally issued in 1995. This is legally enough apparently to enable her to prohibit the reissue of the 1955 European version, let alone the original Venice 1952 cut which is basically the same, with a few small shot and editing differences or even the Italian dub of the 52 version which apparently runs 2 minutes longer than even that print.

She and her attorney's interventions in anything relating to Othello seem to continue to dog a comprehensive legitimate edition of it. Has she actually made positive noises about the Criterion forthcoming version (fourth quarter this year)? I have no idea what it is going to be but one can only assume it will be the "authorized" Beatrice 95 cut. Even if they had made their own 2k scan of the 55 I don't believe she'll let it out of the bag I fear, so it will simply be a port of the Carlotta BD plus their own extras. Unless of course she's changed her medication.

Squire

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
david hare said:
Othello is the one Welles title Beatrice actually legally owns. And the only version she will authorize, which was recently re-issued on French BD with corrected audio is the recut and rescored version (eliminating Welles' original Mandolin score)that was originally issued in 1995. This is legally enough apparently to enable her to prohibit the reissue of the 1955 European version, let alone the original Venice 1952 cut which is basically the same, with a few small shot and editing differences or even the Italian dub of the 52 version which apparently runs 2 minutes longer than http://www.wellesnet.com/criterion-to-release-orson-welles-othello-in-2015/even that print.She and her attorney's interventions in anything relating to Othello seem to continue to dog a comprehensive legitimate edition of it. Has she actually made positive noises about the Criterion forthcoming version (fourth quarter this year)? I have no idea what it is going to be but one can only assume it will be the "authorized" Beatrice 95 cut. Even if they had made their own 2k scan of the 55 I don't believe she'll let it out of the bag I fear, so it will simply be a port of the Carlotta BD plus their own extras. Unless of course she's changed her medication.
Wellesnet says the Criterion release will "likely" include the '55 U.S. cut so who knows. There is also a quote from B. Welles regarding the upcoming Criterion release:

http://www.wellesnet.com/criterion-to-release-orson-welles-othello-in-2015/

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
She may have relented like the Chaplin Estate did for The Gold Rush - make the "preferred cut" the main feature, but allow the original version as an alternate version on the disc. (Notice the lack of release year listing on The Gold Rush cover).

Squire

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
Brandon Conway said:
She may have relented like the Chaplin Estate did for The Gold Rush - make the "preferred cut" the main feature, but allow the original version as an alternate version on the disc. (Notice the lack of release year listing on The Gold Rush cover).
I think they are likely to sell more copies that way. Those who object to the "restoration" may still buy the disk to get the original. I do still wish they'd include the '52 version, but I'll take what I can get.

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
The upcoming Criterion Blu-ray release I'm most excited about is Die Brucke, (The Bridge) a 1959 West German film concerning 7 boys of about 16 years of age, from a small German town, who try to defend a bridge against some advancing allied soldiers, in the closing days of World War 2. This anti-war film has quite a reputation, and I've been eager to somehow see it, for decades. Criterion is scheduled to release Die Brucke on June 23rd, and I'm hoping that our local Barnes & Noble will have it in stock for the store's July Criterion half off sale, because I happen to have a Barnes & Noble $25 gift card.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
SO HAPPY!!

It seems the thing with Merchant-Ivory was settled and we get Room with a View!!

Now let's hope for Maurice too!

http://www.criterion.com/films/28597-a-room-with-a-view

775_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

Cine_Capsulas

Second Unit
Real Name
Patrick

I'm grabbing the Kieslowski, unless it its released in the UK first (which is doubtful at this point).

Already own a Region A release of the Ivory, though Criterion's edition will undoubtedly be superior.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Unfortunately, it looks like Room With A View is losing most of the special features from the previous OOP releases, including most importantly the commentary with James Ivory, Ismail Merchant, Simon Callow and DP Tony Pierce-Roberts. Also missing are a featurette on Forster and some promo pieces.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Craig S said:
Unfortunately, it looks like Room With A View is losing most of the special features from the previous OOP releases, including most importantly the commentary with James Ivory, Ismail Merchant, Simon Callow and DP Tony Pierce-Roberts. Also missing are a featurette on Forster and some promo pieces.

I imagine those were all BBC produced/owned and unavailable to Criterion.

----

I was already in for Moonrise Kingdom.

Breaker Morant is a film that's right in that zone of liking it, but perhaps not liking it enough to own. I may pick it up eventually but it's low priority.

Haven't seen the others. A Room with a View has never interested me, though I quite like Howards End and The Remains of the Day. Blind Chance definitely has me interested. Mister Johnson is probably a title I'd like but it'll be a while until I get around to seeing it more likely than not. Can't say I've ever been too interested in The Honeymoon Killers.

Not the strongest month for me, but their releases are always fascinating.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Nothing for me with these releases . May upgrade Honeymoon Killers if its much of an improvement . Look forward to Oct .

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Both Beresford films are excellent. (MISTER JOHNSON deserves to be better known.) And THE HONEYMOON KILLERS is a long-time favorite of mine, which should look great on Blu.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Took long enough for Criterion to release Breaker Morant. Better late then never, and I'm glad to see it available.

Honeymoon Killers is of some interest, as is Mister Johnson. The others I will have to rent at some point.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
My 'Room with a View' Blu ray from Umbrella in Australia is very serviceable so, given the lack of extras on the Criterion forthcoming release, there's no need to double-dip on this very pleasing movie.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Anyone know if they have any more Harold Lloyd in the pipeline? None have been announced for this year after two releases in early 2013 and 2014.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks