What's new

Crazy Eye Glasses regulations (1 Viewer)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
If your left eye/right eye eyesight matches, and you need reading glasses you can go to your local drug store and pick from a wide selection of very cheap reading glasses.

If your left/right eyesight differs you need to go to the your eye doctor, get a test and prescription, then go to an eye glass store, order glasses, pay through the nose. So far, so good.

But a year later, you lose your expensive glasses. You go back to the same eye glass store (in my case Warby Parker, but that's not really relevant). They have your orders in their system, you just ask for the exact same ones as the last ones you bought. "Sorry, no can do, against the rules: you prescription has expired, you need to see your doctor". But wait, it gets worst. You actually have seen an eye doctor recently, but your new prescription is for much stronger glasses, which you know for sure is unsuitable for your reading glasses. (You actually do have a backup pair and they are just fine -- anything stronger considering how far from the computer screen you read and write, wouldn't work) You just ask for the same ones as before, "no, we can't do it, you have to see your doctor again and get a different prescription".

This is just nuts. People whose eyes are identically long sighted can get new glasses without any restrictions, but if your right eye is 2.00 and your left 2.50 it's like you are requesting for a major surgery. And wasting money and time -- the next available doctors appointment was for Nov. 30th, and I don't even know for sure that he'll listen to me and give me the exact weaker prescription I want

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
If your left eye/right eye eyesight matches, and you need reading glasses you can go to your local drug store and pick from a wide selection of very cheap reading glasses.

If your left/right eyesight differs you need to go to the your eye doctor, get a test and prescription, then go to an eye glass store, order glasses, pay through the nose. So far, so good.

But a year later, you lose your expensive glasses. You go back to the same eye glass store (in my case Warby Parker, but that's not really relevant). They have your orders in their system, you just ask for the exact same ones as the last ones you bought. "Sorry, no can do, against the rules: you prescription has expired, you need to see your doctor". But wait, it gets worst. You actually have seen an eye doctor recently, but your new prescription is for much stronger glasses, which you know for sure is unsuitable for your reading glasses. (You actually do have a backup pair and they are just fine -- anything stronger considering how far from the computer screen you read and write, wouldn't work) You just ask for the same ones as before, "no, we can't do it, you have to see your doctor again and get a different prescription".

This is just nuts. People whose eyes are identically long sighted can get new glasses without any restrictions, but if your right eye is 2.00 and your left 2.50 it's like you are requesting for a major surgery. And wasting money and time -- the next available doctors appointment was for Nov. 30th, and I don't even know for sure that he'll listen to me and give me the exact weaker prescription I want

2 Options if you know the exact strengths -- buy 2 pair of cheap item with the exact same frame and exchange the lens.

Have you asked you Eye Doctor possibly to use last years Rx as an alternative?

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
2 Options if you know the exact strengths -- buy 2 pair of cheap item with the exact same frame and exchange the lens.

Have you asked you Eye Doctor possibly to use last years Rx as an alternative?
I've certainly thought of swapping lenses, although I am a klutz, and don't even know how practically doable it would be for someone with better hand eye coordination. But also, I don't want to lose the benefits of having good sunlight darkening lenses or just the right frames.

And I would love to have had the opportunity to ask the Doctor for the old Rx, but the one who wrote it has disappeared from the face of the earth. Googling her name just points to the clinic where I saw her and she no longer works.

The story gets crazier -- my wife (who also had the same Doctor as me), saw a different one, and finally ended up going to Warby Parker's own eye Doctor downtown, who also prescribed her far too strong lenses. In her case, she ordered new glasses with the new Rx and when she got them the other day immediately found she couldn't even read the little test page they give you in the store, while she can just fine with her (last) old pair. She had to make another (this time free) appointment with the same doctor for him to change her Rx. I booked one right after her with the same Doctor, that way at least I won't have to give an elaborate explanation, and hopefully can get the exact prescription I want...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks