What's new

Cracking or popping noise while watching X-Men (1 Viewer)

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor
I was watching X-Men today in DD on my Onkyo 797, and I heard some distinct "cracking" or "popping" sounds coming from the left rear channel. It's as if I'm overdriving the speakers, but I'm sure that's not it because they're fairly small (Polk f/x 500i), and the volume is far below reference level (about -25dB on my receiver). It's during the scene where Prof. X first uses his chamber to locate Rogue. While all of the people from the train station are flying around, there are two distinct occurrences where my left rear surround makes the noise.
Just to make sure it wasn't the speaker, I switched my surrounds and still heard the same thing. I even grabbed an old Bose loudspeaker (an Interaudio from like 1984, back when they were making speakers that looked like everyone else's) and hooked it up. Same noises.
I heard a similar sound previously when watching Village of the Damned DTS on LD. It came from the rear right channel that time.
The two possibilities left now are the recording itself or my receiver. Can someone toss in their copy and crank up the volume a bit to see if they hear the same thing? I'm beginning to worry that this might be a symptom of the dreaded Onkyo "ticking" that has plagued this series of receivers. Either that, or my surrounds are pieces of crap.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I hear it too, and knew exactly the scene you were going to mention when I clicked on the thread title. This sort of 'pegging' or 'clipping' is fairly common on DVD (The Fifth Element and Grosse Pointe Blank are particularly notorious). It's a problem with a DVD's soundtrack; there's nothing wrong with your equipment.

Adam

Luis Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure about you guys but I have never heard any popping sound when watching X-Men in DD5.1.

Britton

Screenwriter
I heard popping when the Magneto activates the mutant machine on the Statue of Liberty and that bubble start to wash over the X-men, so I wouldn't be shocked if it was common in other parts. I also tried another disc on a someone else's setup, so it isn't just my disc or equipment.

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
Funny - I JUST got done watchig the movie (1st movie on my new rptv) and didn't hear it. I went to the areas mention and didn't hear it.

Rob T

Screenwriter
I've never heard any cracking or popping and I usually play it pretty loud. :)

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Those of you who don't hear it should consider yourselves lucky. Once you do hear it, you begin to notice it in many/most discs and can't un-notice it.

Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks