What's new
World Wide Stereo

Costco.com "package" deals (1 Viewer)

WilliamPC

Agent
I have a friend who is looking for a projector and screen and I stumbled across these deals at Costco.com. Can anyone give me some feedback on these deals:

Option 1 DLP

Option 2 LCD

Are these good prices? Which is better? He is building a basement part time home theater and will have solid light control. He really wants to have a screen that rolls away into the top of a bookcase or something like that but we havent found anything like that yet.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
William, I wouldn't buy either of those. What will be the main use?
What is the budget?
Native 4:3 or 16:9?
LCD or DLP(Do rainbows bother him?
Go to Projectorcentral.com and read up on the basics asked above. Then read the "Highly Recommended Projectors" section for projectors in your budget.

WilliamPC

Agent
Main use will be 16:9 DVD viewing. Not to sure on the budget as we both have no clue was to what it will take to make a good setup.

I took the easy route and bought a Samsung DLP. Projectors are hard to buy in our area because no one has them set up for Demo. Heck, the only 2 places to buy them are Circuit City an Best Buy and they appear to be more of the "presentation" variety projector rather than the HT type.

I will go to the site you recomended. Can you tell me what is wrong with the ones I listed.

thnks.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
William, the LCD says it is a Hitachi, but it does not give the model#. Also it lists a 300:1 contrast ratio(that's pretty low).
The DLP is very bright(3000 lumens)I think it said. That may be way too bright for your situation in dark basement. And I can't find a review on it yet.
You have to determine LCD or DLP, screen size, seating distance, long or short throw projector, before people can give you recommendations. I know it's a pain in the butt, but I researched for a few months at least before I bought my Infocus X1 projector. I have a great setup and it cost less than $1,000 for projector, DIY screen(106" diagonal), DIY ceiling mount, and misc. cables.

WilliamPC

Agent
Thanks Jim, I will talk to my buddy about how he is going to set up the room. Its just bare studs right now so its hard to tell. Im leaning towards DLP but I want him to view a few of them to see if he is succesptible to the rainbow effect. Once I have the details I will report back. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks