Cost of having wirings installed

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jim_Lan, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Jim_Lan

Jim_Lan Agent

I'm in the last stages of setting up a home theater system. For the front speakers and sub I can just run the wires along the front wall and they are mostly hidded by the speakers, audio cabinet and TV.. But for the surround, I want to run the wires through the wall - down to my unfinished basement and then back up the back wall to the speakers. I've read lots of forums that talk about snaking wires, but I'm afraid I will mess that up.. If I have an AV installer come in and do it, what should I expect to pay. I know it all depends on room and basement, but anyone had this done, or anyone care to guess at what an average cost would be?

2. anth_c

anth_c Stunt Coordinator

Jim,

Since you have access from the basement, I think it should be less than $100 per speaker for labor and materials. However, I don't know how many custom shops will want to come out for just two wire runs. Anyone else have any thoughts?

3. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

Most custom shops usually have minimums like 4 hours and 2 men. When I got my cable installed, I asked the cable guy how much to do speaker wire pulls on the side and he was very reasonable. I bought the wire at home depot and he fished it for me.

4. Jim_Lan

Jim_Lan Agent

Thanks guys, I guess I'll call the guy that sold me the receiver and see if I can get the estimate.. If it seems high I see if I can talk him into some "overtime"

5. Jamie Colquhoun

Jamie Colquhoun Auditioning

Where are you located? If you are in NJ, I'll give you a good price.