What's new

Correcting A Boomy Subwoofer (1 Viewer)

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
I have a ported subwoofer based on the older Blueprint 1001 10" subwoofer (the one with the double-stacked magnets) and I have a friend with a Sony SA-WM40 12" sub which sounds like it has a lot better transient decay. I want to know what I can do with my subwoofer (with its 12" wide, 1" high, 15" long port in an enclosure 14x20x12") to make its sound tighter.

Griff

Stunt Coordinator
If the sub is positioned in a corner, then move it, if the port is facing a wall (or the driver) turn it so that it doesn't.

Ensure that it is wired in the correct phase.

Check the Xover point on the amp, maybe lowering it a bit.

If your amp has "bass boost", turn it off.

Are you sure that the port dimensions are correct?

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
Wow Griff, thats one hell of a first post. Great suggestions there.

If none of that works, you may consider a BFD. It won't make the bass any "tighter" but it will be less boomy by removeing room induced spikes in the FR curve.

Griff

Stunt Coordinator
I am just waiting on some pics before i make an introduction.

Boomy subs can also be the fault of a boomy amp, some subs dont mix with certain amps, though it is rare with plate amps.

Sean EH

Auditioning
If you're comparing your sub to your friend's in different rooms, don't jump to any conclusions. The boominess could be due to a standing wave in the room, not a problem with the sub itself. Try comparing them in the same position in the same room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks