What's new

Copy VHS to DVD - How? (1 Viewer)

DavidO

Auditioning
Before they all rot away, I want to copy my old VHS tapes to DVD-R.

My current equipment: Stand-alone VCR. Computer running XP, DVD burner, Sound Blaster card. Also have pre-amp, if needed.

Is this enough to do the deed? If so, how?

If not, what other equipment must I have?

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
You need the ability to get the video and audio transfered. Becuase you are trying to get video from an analog source, you'll need an analog/digital bridge. I personally use the Pinnacle Deluxe AV/DV bridge, and it works beautifully. It also has the ability to capture S-Video if you have a laserdisc player. The included software, Pinnacle Studio, will be sufficient to get your video transferred to a DVD format.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Man, you admins are paranoid. ;) Not all VHS tapes are copy-protected. Not all DVDs are copy-protected either.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
is there a rule against talking about whether or not dvds and vhs tapes are copy protected? :)

CJ

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Just trying to head off the "I tried to copy such-and-such" and it wouldn't let me", or "the video looks like crap." posts, and then someone chimes in with "Well, it's most probably Macrovision that's hosing you, but this is how to be done with it..." If you don't experience any copying problems, there's nothing to talk about then, is there?

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
No one said anything about it until your warning! Now, if he's using it to transfer movies to DVD-R, I really have to ask WHY especially for those movies that are already out on DVD. I just assumed that he was talking about home videos. Otherwise, to spend the time and money for hardware and media to preserve a crappy copy of a movie that's likely on DVD is ridiculous.

As George Carlin said, "Calm down. Have some dip." :D

Personally, I think it's kind of foolish to ban such discussion just because it could be used for naughty purposes, but that's one of the reasons why I'm not an admin.

DavidO

Auditioning
Video tapes have been around since about 1898, when they were invented by Thomas Edison. I taped my first child's birth in 1904, my first grandchild's birth in 1927, and all my kids and grandkids ever since. All their school graduations, weddings, etc, etc. These are the things I want to preserve on DVD.

A previous responder was correct when he suggested that it's a colossal waste of time to copy crappy movie tapes to DVD if they are readily available on DVD. But, after 100 years, those early tapes of my kids are starting to crumble.

Since I was 20 years old when I made my first tape in 1904, I will soon celebrate my 120th birthday this year. I don't have too much time left . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks