What's new

Connections help (1 Viewer)

Mike L-field

Agent
I have an RCA satellite receiver (either the 4280 model or 480 model) with DD output, and a Toshiba TP55F81 television (a 1996 or 97 model) Can anyone tell me how to connect the two so that I can get both satellite and cable signals. I had it "professionally" installed but had to tear it apart because my wife hit the wrong button or buttons and I couldn't get it to work properly. Also, can anyone tell me how I can set the TV so that the cable signal is assigned to one or the other inputs.

It used to be that when I turned the sat receiver off I got my cable channel signal. I don't know how the installer acomplished that. The sat receiver has optical audio out, S-video out, 2 sets of audio video composite connections. It also has a coax "In from sat" jack, a coax "in from antenna" jack and a coax "out to TV" jack. The Tosh TV has a coax ant 1 and ant 2 input jacks; two sets of audio video composite jacks; and 1 S-video in jack.

Your help will, as always, be appreciated. TIA

Jorge M

Stunt Coordinator
I think it's very hard to know exactly how your installer managed to do that, and judging by the fact that you hadn't gotten any replies yet it seems other people think so too. However, I will venture a guess:

Coax out of cable box into "in from antenna" on sat receiver. Coax "out to TV" from sat receiver to TV. TV on channel 3. When the receiver is on, you're seeing satellite. When you turn it off (or press the antenna or A/B button), it passes through the cable signal. That's my guess.

Now let me say this: this is probably not the best way to connect it. Since the sat receiver has s-vid out, you should use that to connect to one of the video inputs on the TV. The cable box you can connect through composite if available or coax if not. Now to switch between the two, just hit "tv/video" on the TV's remote to cycle through the inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks