What's new

Connecting yamaha to network via ethernet instead of wifi (1 Viewer)

Jachin99!@

Grip
Real Name
Jachin Adams
I have previously connected my receiver to my motorolla router via the wireless network adapter. I get poor signal with this router because of Where I have to put it so, I want to hard wire my receiver to my router in order be able to play media from my home pc (also hardwired) on the receiver. I also want to control the receiver via WIFI from mobile devices. I plugged in an ethernet cable from the stereo directly to the router and now i cannot get the receiver to access media content. I have not tried a remote function. Please help.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
You know if if your AVR even got an IP address from your system? Does it have a default address that needs to be cleared out or setup? Is it configured for DHCP or do you have to use a static address?

Jachin99!@

Grip
Real Name
Jachin Adams
I used phone cord. I switched to cat 5 and it works. Its also a lot faster than it was on wifi. This is off topic but does anyone know if I can use the Yamaha wifi adapter on another device like an xbox

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Phone cord...oh boy. Using a 6 pin connector in an 8 pin port is bad juju. Fortunately you didn't bend the pins enough to make it not work.

Others reading this please don't do this...make sure the connector that goes into your network port has 8 wires and is wider than a normal phone plug.

TimmyBosko

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Bosko
Jachin99!@ said:
I have previously connected my receiver to my motorolla router via the wireless network adapter. I get poor signal with this router because of Where I have to put it so, I want to hard wire my receiver to my router in order be able to play media from my home pc (also hardwired) on the receiver. I also want to control the receiver via WIFI from mobile devices. I plugged in an ethernet cable from the stereo directly to the router and now i cannot get the receiver to access media content. I have not tried a remote function. Please help.

Hi,

Just in case you don't want a long ugly RJ-45 cable running across your floor from your Rcvr to your Router, to connect my Yamaha Receiver to my router I used a couple of these: (different make/model)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-powerline-500-essentials-edition-ethernet-adapter-kit-white/1815036.p?id=1219510814211&skuId=1815036

I installed Itunes on my PC and used the Receivers "Airplay" option to play my music from the PC to the receiver.

Also, I installed an app on my tablet to control itunes that is running on my PC.

Works flawlessly.. Love it!!

Just fyi..

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
Yikes, phone cord. :(

I use a 802.11n router in wireless bridge mode with my Yamaha RXV775. (If you want to get rid of your Yamaha WiFi adapter, I'll give ya $10 for it. ;) )

To aid in the mobile apps connecting to it faster, I set it to a static IP address on my network; the iOS and Android apps let you put in static IPs to check first before scanning the LAN for the receiver.

Jachin99!@

Grip
Real Name
Jachin Adams
I used the wrong term. I used line cord and I plugged right up but, it still didnt support what I was trying to accomplish. I got cat 5 instead and now it works. I lil wired connections because they're reliable. I live I an apartment so my installation options are pretty limited. I mostly use an iPad I my kitchen to control the receiver and ever since I hard wired it to the router it works great

Kurt79

Auditioning
Real Name
Kurt
ArmSC said:
Phone cord...oh boy. Using a 6 pin connector in an 8 pin port is bad juju. Fortunately you didn't bend the pins enough to make it not work.
RJ11 has 4 pins and it fits into a RJ45 socket.. Doesn't support ethernet though.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
It does fit but not correctly. You end up mashing the the 1 and 8 pins and likely the 2 and 7 pins. This will make the port unusable by a correct RJ45 unless you can bend them back to the right position. Depending on how bad they are messed up you end up making them worse by trying to correct the problem. This is not a good situation for a connection that isn't modular and can't be easily replaced.

FYI the RJ11 is a 6 pin connector although not always populated with all 6 pins it's most commonly terminated with 4.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Kurt79 said:

Because of the way the jack/clip is made. You have 6 pins but you have the sides of the jack that stick up/out right between the 1/2 and 7/8 pins so when you put it in it pushes them in further than they should. Then if you have any movement on the cable, which is very likey since it doesn't fit properly, it further twists the pins.

You don't have to trust me if you don't want to. Go plug in a phone cord to a network connection at your house and move it around a bit to see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks