What's new

Connecting PC to AV Receiver in another room (1 Viewer)

PaulDG

Auditioning
Hi out there in the world.

My house is smart wired with cat5E cable and RG6 coax. The PC is in the office at the back of the house and the receiver is at the front. The receiver (Denon AVR-3803) drives a Panasonic (PT-AE300E) LCD Projector for large screen veiwing.

I have a hard drive full of music videos and mp3's. What I would like to do rather than burning CD's etc, is to cable up the PC to My receiver.

The only problem is that I have no idea where to start.

Any Ideas Please? :b

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
There are a number of media receivers that will receive a Cat5/Ethernet type connection and then pass an analog or digital signal out to your receiver (also, Onkyo makes receivers that have this connectivity built in [NetTune]; I have no idea why this isn't rapidly becoming a standard AVR feature).

PaulDG

Auditioning
Thanks Mark bk and Angelo.M for your replys. I am off to Tandys (Radio Shack) today to investigate the Audio/Visual Signal sender/receiver.

My receiver doesn't have the connectivity you talk about so its back to how if there is a way to connect the monitor output from the PC onto the cat5e network and into the av receiver at the other end.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
How about this: http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=2513. You might need a direct wire connection though; having to digitize and packetize the signal so it can go on the network and find its way around is a lot more work.

If the AV receiver and/or TV doesn't take VGA, you will also need a converter. You may also need to drive the video at a lower resolution, like 640x480.

Also, if you want to send digital audio, maybe you could use the existing coax with this: http://www.xitel.com/product_phfl.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks