What's new

Connecting cable TV in to my HT receiver (1 Viewer)

Jon Veencamp

Auditioning
Well, I hope this isn't too stupid a question. :)
I'm a n00b to all of this and I just purchased a Pioneer Elite VSX33TX receiver, and can't figure out how I would connect the incoming cable tv coax cable to the receiver.
Before the cable would come in go to my VCR and then I'd coax the VCR to the TV. Easy enough.
But with my new DVD, I wouldn't mind running all audio/video through the pioneer receiver and have a single remote running it all. The receiver accepts S-video, RCA, optical, Component, but no coax. How do I get the TV signal into it?
I tried running the coax to the VCR, and then the VCR to the receiver via 3 A/V RCA cables, and then on to the TV via 3 A/V RCA's, but the only the current selected channel on the VCR seems to go through the RCA's out from the VCR.
So, I need a way to convert the incoming COAX cable to something my receiver can deal with. Is there any sort of converter or anything I can run? Is this a common problem for people that don't have a satellite TV receiver to feed the AV receiver?
Thanks for patience with this ignorant (but trying to learn) newbie. :)

Lee Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Lee Bailey
Jon,
Leave the VCR set to either Channel 3 or 4, whichever your cable box output uses. It sounds like you have the VCR hooked up correctly to your receiver. You should be able to view the TV, and change the channels on the cable box only. On your VCR, there is usually a button on the remote for VCR/TV, try pushing that once if you are not seeing the channels change from the cable box. In this configuration, the cable box would be your tuner. If you just have the cable coming straight into your VCR without a cable box, then the VCR's tuner will do the channel changing. There is no direct method of connecting your TV cable coax directly to your receiver. Your receiver would have to have similar hardware inside like your VCR does to convert the signal to video and audio. Your current configuration is the norm.
------------------
The Bailey's Web Page and Home Theatre
The Bailey's DVD Collection

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks