What's new

Connecting a subwoofer to an amp... please help. (1 Viewer)

Hanah

Auditioning
Just didn't know where to post, and I am sure one of you guys will know!
Hmm...
First I have one Dolby Prologic Amp (2 fronts / 2 mono rears / centre)
2 B&W 602 S2s and Audio Pro subevidence sub.
Problem is that my amp doesn't have the 'sub out' (6year old model), thus I cannot use the low pass, but have to use the high pass. [or is there a way to use low pass?]
If I use the low pass, I can use the cross over knob between 23 and 100 hz.
But if I use the high pass, the B&Ws only gonna get above 100hz (its set).
Is there anyway that I can connect both speakers and sub to an amp, rather than connecting speakers through the sub then sub to amp?
I want bass out of both speakers and the sub. And freedom to control my low pass frequency.. (I want to set it to 60hz) 100hz produces muddy bass for my taste.
I can still set the sub at 60hz, (with high pass), but then my speakers will only produce anything above 100hz, and I will have a gap between 60 and 100.
If anyone can help me out, please do..!!
Thanks in advance.
[Edited last by Hanah on October 22, 2001 at 07:03 PM]

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
If I'm understanding the text correctly...
You should be able to run 2 pairs of speaker wire from the binding posts on your receiver(the main L/R channels). Run one set to the speakers(as normal) and run the other set to the speaker level inputs on the subwoofer's amp module.
TV

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
quote: You should be able to run 2 pairs of speaker wire from the binding posts on your receiver(the main L/R channels). Run one set to the speakers(as normal) and run the other set to the speaker level inputs on the subwoofer's amp module.[/quote]
Tom, I know you are the Subwoofer master!
But wouldn't running 2 speakers off of 1 terminal present an ohm problem, even if 1 is a sub?
Or am I wrong, and maybe running a sub and speaker off 1 output would be okay considering the sub will only use the low frequencies?
Ok I see, I think your saying that feeding the high pass on the sub will not produce any resistance??
------------------
Sean
"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"
[Edited last by Sean Conklin on October 22, 2001 at 10:19 PM]

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Right, if you feed the speaker level inputs on a powered subwoofer...it shouldn't affect the impendence worth worrying about.
TV

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Thanks Tom, that is some really good info to know!
I'm sorry 1 more question: Would this be a preferred connection with passive subs with crossovers/filters even though they have the input/ output to speakers connection, or would the passive sub present a significant amount of resistance, even though the xover would be filtering and rejecting the high frequencies?
Or ONLY powered subs with high pass input?
------------------
Sean
"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"
[Edited last by Sean Conklin on October 22, 2001 at 10:52 PM]

Hanah

Auditioning
Dear Tom and Sean, thanks for your replies.
I think you understood my text properly.
So double connecting sub to amp and speakers to amp is fine right??
It wouldn't lower the output or change any ohm on both sub and speakers that way? [how is that possible? any explanations?]
I am a real beginner, and I don't want to ruin my just bought equipments..
So just for a confirmation, if I double connect (2 wires coming off each terminal from amp), I should not lose anything but reach the goal?
Please let me know.
Thank you.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hanah,the only way to be sure this will work without trying it is to contact the subwoofer manfacturer and ask for *techsupport*. Then describe what you're trying to do...and they should be able to tell you if it's ok immediately.
I've tried this on many woofs, and never had a problem...and I've read about others doing the same many times before without any issues. It's generally assumed if a POWERED subwoofer has speaker level inputs...this patch in method is OK.
If you have any doubt, I'd give the manufacturer a ring though.(or look thru the owner's manual?)
TV

Hanah

Auditioning
Thanks, Tom.
I couldn't wait, and just hooked it up as you told me to.
:)
Seems like it's working fine!
Thanks for your help.
Yes it is a powered subwoofer.
It's weird that not many people know about 'Audio Pro'
here... or maybe people just don't like it?
It's a swedish made.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trackername123
Recent bookmarks