What's new

Connecting a powered sub to a Pioneer 1019AH-K receiver (1 Viewer)

HTROLAND

Agent
Real Name
Roland
I am new to HT and converting my stereo to a 5.1 system. From the beginning I have been concerned about connectivity since there are a lot of components and different manufacturers out there. I have bought a Pioneer 1019AH-K receiver and a Yamaha YST-SW315 powered Subwoofer. Now that I am putting them together, Yamaha's manual said I cannot connect the sub to the receiver because the receiver only has one PRE OUT. I can only connect it using speaker cable from the receiver's speaker output terminals. The receiver only have an output from zone 2 (video and audio left and right), DVR output (video and audio left and right) and out CD-R (audio left and right). These are all the outputs aside from the front,center and surround speakers. All this connections are RCA connections. I don't know if I can use these outputs plus if connected to the Sub, connection is by wire (left + and -), (right + and -). Can anyone help me resolve this problem and hope I will no longer have this connectivety problem. I still have to connect a blu-ray Sony BDP S570. The receiver only shows a connection from the one PRE OUT to the SubWoofer.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
This is your second thread using your name as a title. It's not the best way to get help.

I'm changing the thread title to something that describes the issue on which you're seeking help. I'm also moving the thread to the Receivers area, since this is primarily a receiver question.

HTROLAND

Agent
Real Name
Roland
Sorry Michael, thought title is my name and Subject is what I am asking. Don't you think subject is better than title? I was debating if its suppose to be connectivity but anway THANKS

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by HTROLAND

Yamaha's manual said I cannot connect the sub to the receiver because the receiver only has one PRE OUT.
Use a Y-adapter and you will have 2 pre-amp outputs. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3909619

HTROLAND

Agent
Real Name
Roland
Robert,

The y-adapter has one RCA male to 2 female output, both RCA. Is there a wired output, left and right? So there will be 4 wires coming out instead of 2 female RCA. The yamaha sub needs four wires, two for the left (pos and neg) and two for the right (pos &neg).

HTROLAND

Agent
Real Name
Roland
Robert ,

In addition shall I just cut the female ends and get those four wires?

Thanks again.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
http://www.fixya.com/support/p148914-yamaha_yst_sw215_subwoofer/manual-18509/page-9

Is the first picture an accurate diagram of the back of your subwoofer?

HTROLAND

Agent
Real Name
Roland
Robert,

Yes. The "NOTES" just throw me out since I have only one Pre Out. I spoke to one of their tech support and told me to just use mono connection, that is from receiver low pass (pre out ) run a mono cable to the MONO INPUT2 (L) of the Sub. LOW PASS and SPLIT SUBWOOFER words kept me wondering. Hope this will be O.K.
Thanks again.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's also what the picture shows. No need to buy a splitter.

Most subwoofer plate amps have a summing circuit just inside behind the RCA inputs. If you use one or both inputs, they are combined into a single signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.