What's new

confused about connections for dvd-a and sadc (1 Viewer)

jason maxwell

Auditioning
Before I started reading this forum I bought the black album on dvd-a and played it through my sanyo dvd player to my rca receiver via optic cable.All my speaker symbols lit up as it started to play and I thought it sounded great.But after reading the forums for a couple of days alot of people say you have to use 6 cables to connect to be able to listen to dvd-a or sadc.
The big question is ,am I hearing the real deal or is it some type of layer?
Thanks ,Jason

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
If you're listening through the optical cable, you are listening to the Dolby Digital or DTS track, since it's showing all speakers lit up. This is like the audio in a movie or a concert dvd, such as The Eagle's "Hell Freezes Over" concert dvd.
To listen to the High Resolution 5.1 surround tracks of a dvd-a or sacd, you MUST have the 6 analog cables out from dvd player into the 6 analog inputs on receiver. Then you use the Multi-channel selection on receiver(Denon uses EXT. IN), instead of dvd selection.If your dvd player doesn't have the 6 analog outputs on the back, then it's not capable of playing the HiRes 5.1 surround tracks of dvd-a or sacd. And, your receiver has to have the 6 analog inputs too.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Very significant! you *MUST* use 6 analog cables to take advantage of the high-res on SACD/DVDA. Otherwise you are NOT listening to MLP/DSD, only the lossy DD/DTS tracks.

Brian E

Screenwriter
You didn't mention if your player was DVD-A capable. AFAIK Sanyo doesn't make one so the best you're going to get right now is the DD or DTS track you've been listening to.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
You can get the Pioneer DV 563A at Best Buy or Circuit City pretty cheap. It plays both dvd-a and sacd discs! Circuit City had it on sale a week or so ago, for about $135...........
Good luck!

It's well worth the upgrade to the Pioneer.... :emoji_thumbsup:

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit
2nd that.

Bought it at best buy two weekend ago, along with the Black Album (and 3 Doors Down). I now own around a half dozen DVD-A and SACD titles. The player was 150. Good deal if you concider it's about 1/4 the cost of the next lowest priced model, and those of us that can't build multi-thousand dollar systems probably won't be able to hear the difference.
Before you make the purchace, make sure your reciever has analog ins.
It's also a decent DVD player. I switched from a Samsung p231 and the colors looked a lot better on my philips widescreen 30" HD. Bit sharper too, i'd say.

Disclaimer: all assesments in previous post were made by a relative 'newbie'.

Take it easy. Let us know how everything works out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks