computer/ht integration

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd Bohlke, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Todd Bohlke

Todd Bohlke Agent

I have a friend who's looking to use a pc that will store his mp3s and movies to view on his tv. What hardware will he need in order to do this? Will he need to setup a dedicated monitor or is there a way he can do this through the tv? Thanks!

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    This question will get better response in the Computers/HTPC area which I am moving it to.

3. Todd Bohlke

Todd Bohlke Agent

anyone?

4. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

Any sound card will work. I'm using a generic sound card, with a stereo mini plug to RCA converter, which connects to my HT. Sound isn't the greatest, but they are MP3s afterall.

For video, you'll need a video card with at least composite output to be able to supply a signal to the TV.

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

For an HTPC the most important part is arguably the video card. A Radeon All-In-Wonder should have all the TV-in and out capabilties you need.

Something else important is a quiet power supply. The Fortron/Sparkle 300w is super quiet and has great build quality.

For sound you can get a motherboard with onboard sound that has digital coax/toslink outputs. Also if it's a media PC with movies don't skimp on the HD. I'd say at least 80gigs.