What's new

Comprehensive NON-OAR DVD list (1 Viewer)

Karl F

Stunt Coordinator
Joshua,
I took a look at the new Artisan DVD of Stephen Frears' The Hit today, which should be 1.85:1, as I mentioned above.
I'm not an expert, and I didn't watch the whole film -- just skipped around -- but judging from how cramped it is around the edges (characters half cut off, etc.), I'd be very surprised if it was open matte. I'm pretty sure it's P&S.
--K

Michael Coate

Stunt Coordinator
Should IMAX titles be transfered in their original 1.44:1 ratio in non-anamorphic letterbox or 1.44:1 windowbox or 1.78:1 anamorphic letterbox?
If it's a recent Large Format production I imagine 1.78:1 (anamorphic) will probably work out just fine (and there have been a handful of these released). On an older production, sticking to 1.44:1 is probably the better choice (or 1.33:1; it's close enough). (Large Format productions aren't standardized the same way regular feature films and TV are. It's Special Venue; different rules might apply.) In the end, if the filmmakers, rather than someone in DVD marketing, are allowed to make the ratio selection for DVD release then I wouldn't see any need for any disputes over correct presentation.

David Stone

Stunt Coordinator
Why limit it to just the Work-In-Progress edition? The final theatrical version was issued on DVD at 1.85:1, as well.
I know the OAR of "Beauty and the Beast" is a subject of debate, so I was hesitant to even bring it up. (My own belief is that it should be presented in the OAR that the animators created. It doesn't make much sense to draw it and then matte over what you just drew.) However, the "Work In Progress" edition cannot be debated. The full 1.66:1 negative was presented at its only theatrical showing at the NY Film Festival so its OAR is 1.66:1 and this is what should have been on the DVD.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Protocol is a 2.35 movie (if the IMDB is to be believed). The only DVD release is 1.33. It should be added.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Beauty and the Beast was composed for 1.66:1-1.85:1 presentation. While 1.66:1 would of course allow the full negative image to be shown, the 1.85:1 matting was always in mind for the film.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I'd also like to see a list of OAR movies which ARE ANAMORPHIC but the packaging DOES NOT INDICATE this, i.e. AIR FORCE ONE.

He@ther

Grip
The Care Bears Movie isn't available in widescreen. Yeah, I know, I'm a loser, lol. Just thought I'd let ya know, though. ;)

Larry P

Stunt Coordinator
All the stupid websites I went to incorrectly (apparently) listed ALASKA as being in Anamorphic Widescreen as well as Full Screen, so like a dummy I ordered it. This is what I get for not checking first. You can't ever believe any of the misleading crap they put in the description box.
I should have known since this is a WB Family title.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
See this is what I mean. Too many movies say they're anamorphic, but aren't, or don't specifically say Anamorphic/Enhanced for 16x9 TV's, but they are.
WTF is wrong with these companies that they can't accurately indicate the specs of the product on the packaging. It's the disintegration of our society, just like more and more you can't find knowledgable help in most stores at most times, the quality of work in the service industry is declining (waiters/waitresses). Too many corporations send out letter with grammatical/spelling errors. :frowning:

David Stone

Stunt Coordinator
"Queen: Greatest Video Hits #1" can be added to the list. All of the 4:3 videos on disc one have been matted in the transfer to present them in Anamorphic 16x9 Widescreen.
Quite painful to watch if you grew up with these classic music videos and know that the tops of the band's heads should not be cut off. In one video featuring a close up of Freddie Mercury singing, even his eyes are obscured by the added matte. What the heck were they thinking??? :angry:

Jeff Lund

Stunt Coordinator
One movie that I have not seen mentioned as being a P&S DVD is Hooper with Burt Reynolds. Technical specs listed on IMDb show the OAR to be 1.85:1 http://us.imdb.com/Technical?0077696
Unfortunately the LD was butchered as well. Please add this to the list. BTW, great job with this massive undertaking!!!!

Michael Coate

Stunt Coordinator
"Queen: Greatest Video Hits #1" can be added to the list. All of the 4:3 videos on disc one have been matted in the transfer to present them in Anamorphic 16x9 Widescreen.

Quite painful to watch if you grew up with these classic music videos and know that the tops of the band's heads should not be cut off. In one video featuring a close up of Freddie Mercury singing, even his eyes are obscured by the added matte. What the heck were they thinking???
Actually, the last *three* Queen DVD releases have been reframed from 1.33:1 to 1.78:1. The three being: We Will Rock You, The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert, and Greatest Video Hits 1.

For the most part, the reframing seems to work fine. Am I suggesting 1.33:1 material should be reframed on a regular basis? Not necessarily. But be prepared for this to happen more often as 16:9 TVs and broadcasts become more and more common....

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
The Magic Christian (Artisan) (OM)

The open-matte on this title is definite, based on the opening titles and overabundance of head- and foot-room during the movie.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
Cujo & Dr. Giggles are not on DVD in OAR. Cujo is a 1.85:1 film & Dr. Giggles is a 2.35:1 film but these filmed were formatted to fit TV's (pan & scanned).

David Stone

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, the last *three* Queen DVD releases have been reframed from 1.33:1 to 1.78:1. The three being: We Will Rock You, The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert, and Greatest Video Hits 1.

For the most part, the reframing seems to work fine. Am I suggesting 1.33:1 material should be reframed on a regular basis? Not necessarily. But be prepared for this to happen more often as 16:9 TVs and broadcasts become more and more common....
Thanks for the heads up. I'll avoid buying the other two Queen DVD releases. (I accidentally bought the Video Hits without realizing they had matted it down.) Next time I'm in a store I'll be curious if those other two title carry any kind of "original content has been modified to fit your HDTV" disclaimer. The Video Hits doesn't and definitely should.

In my opinion, "No-OAR" still means "No Sale", regardless. Matting the top/bottom to fit 16:9 is no more acceptable than cropping the sides to fit 4:3.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Happy Gilmore's OAR was 1.85:1 and I believe that it is in open matte on the DVD. You can get it in OAR on LD and on DVD in Region 2 (released by Columbia).

ZackR

Supporting Actor
Honey, I Shrunk The Kids is available in Widescreen.
I am almost 100% sure. I saw it at Suncoast just yesterday. I will go by there tonight and check to be sure though.
Zack

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Hey is this thread still brewin'? I ask mainly cuz I recently started up this thread in the Polls Section:
The Full Frame/Pan n Scan Hall of Shame
But I'd consider this list a helluva lot more thorough than my half-assed attempts. If on the off chance this list gives you a few extra titles to add, cool.
I'll be closing that thread (well, not closing - just ignoring) and I'll refer any interested parties to this one.
Impressive list here. Keep it up!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks