Complete List of NON-OAR Films on DVD (Beta)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Joshua Clinard, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    I have been wanting to upgrade/update the Widescreen Advocate OAR Watchdog (List of DVD's not available in OAR) for a long time, and the time has finally come. This is after almost a year of trying to maintain such a list here at the HTF. If you have ever participated in the "Comprehensive List of Non-OAR DVD's" threads you will understand how tiresome it has been to maintain that list.

NO MORE!

I been working on a script that will do all the work for us. All you will have to do is visit the site, fill out a simple form, and add a DVD to the list. I, or another admin I select will simply be able to approve it once you have done so, and viola! - It will immediately appear on the list. The list will be sortable! You will simply be able to click on a link to sort by title, studio, year of release, oar, method of formatting, and if it is available on another format. It's a very nice little script, but it isn't quite finished.

The script is in a beta state right now, so it's not formatted to look like the rest of the site. I would like you folks to help me beta test it, and comment on how it could be improved. It will eventually be formatted to look like the site. You can check out the beta script below, and add your comments to this thread.

OAR Watchdog

I need feedback on the following: I would like to have a method for removing titles from the list once they have an oar release. I have thought of two ways to do this.

The first option is to have a way to mark a title as "Available" by adding another field, and putting a star in that field or something like that when it is released in widescreen.

Another option would be to have titles that are "now available" be moved to a seperate list. This list could be below the first list, or on a seperate page.

Personally, I think it will be easier to implement the first option, but if anyone thinks the second option would be more useful, feel free to say so. If you like the first option, which field would be added, or what would one of the fields say. My vote goes for adding the word "Released" or Announced under the available column.

(hint: format column to become available.)

If no one votes, I am going with the method described above.

2. Kenny Goldin

Kenny Goldin Second Unit

I wanted to add the Bodyguard w/ Kevin Costner and Whitney Houston but there is no option for Warner Bros. under studio.

3. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard
    It's just a beta. The data will be deleted once the software is complete. Then I will re-add the "real" data.

There will be a count of titles in the database as well.

4. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard
    I would really like some feedback on this. I have been working on it for the last week. A few things that have been added recently are pagination, and a search feature. The search feature will not show up until I add the new code, which has already been written. I'm testing a few things at a time. The script works, and it has been formatted to look like the rest of the site. Please note that the info in the database is not correct, and that it is just being used for the beta test. It will be deleted once the script is fully tested. After that time, all 200 + titles in the NON-OAR DVD LIST will be added.

Please let me know what should be done about the titles that need to be removed. A few options are available in my first post.