What's new

Composite video cable = subwoofer cable??? (1 Viewer)

Thor H

Auditioning
A couple of weeks ago I ordered a 8 m (25 feet?) composite video cable to hook up the VCR to the projector. Of course they messed up the order, but they gave me a subwoofer cable in stead, claiming it was the same cable (exept white in stead of black). Have I been taken for a ride?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
The impedance is slightly different, 50 omh as apposed to 75 ohm I believe, but for your application, it will work fine. For a composite hookup of a VCR to a projector, you could have also used a standard TV cable with adaptors on each end to convert from F style to RCA style and it would be dirt cheap. How much did this 25' cable cost you?

Chris White

Second Unit
The impedance is slightly different, 50 omh as apposed to 75 ohm I believe

Neil, you may be right, but there are a lot of cable manufacturers who sell 75 ohm cables for both applications. It's quite possible that the cable he received is a 75 ohm coax.

Thor H

Auditioning
It was a Monster cable, so it was totally overpriced of course. (800 NOK, incl our 24% VAT (yup!), I guess it would translate to $50 - 60 in the US.) It did however make a HUGE improvement compared to the cheap RCA - RCA cable I had. It's still not on par with the DVD (that runs over S-video), but it's quite acceptable now. But it also makes you think "would the "real" video cable be even better?". Unfortunately, I threw away the box, so I don't know the impedance, but I'll check in a store.

I've always subscribed to the view that the cable business is all about snake oil, but now that I've seen it for myself, I'm ready to swallow a camel or two. So if you're forking out hundreds of dollars for a projector, don't be cheap on the cable!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks