What's new

Components in a window seat? (1 Viewer)

SethH

Senior HTF Member
My wife and I will likely be starting to build a new house soon. This is our first house, and we're fairly young, so there will not be a dedicated HT.

The floorplan we're looking at has a TV niche over a corner fireplace in the family room. This will be the main viewing area. We are considering putting in a bay window with a window seat where we'll store all the components (hidden in the window seat). We'll then run all the necessary cables (hdmi, s-video, component, speakers, etc) over to the TV niche through the wall.

My only concern about this is the ventilation of the components. I would really prefer to go with passive ventilation, but I'm not sure if this will be possible. We were thinking we might do shutter-style doors on the front of the seat to allow some air flow into the area.

Can anyone think of an attractive way to vent out of the top? This will be in a main room of our home, so it's got to be attractive. I'd definitely prefer passive cooling, but may consider active options if there are good ideas out there.

Thanks for all your help!

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I would talk to your cabinet maker. For Passive cooling we usually suggest that the cabinet maker designs the window seat (or cabinet) with a toe kick overhang. You can then have him router out the bottom of the toe kick and with the shutter style doors you should have plenty of air flow. and if it's a big enough cabinet you could also have your sub hidden in the cabinet also.

See the pictures of what we have done in the past.

http://www.gourmetav.com/HPIM0123.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks