Component VS S-Video for standard TV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sacha_C, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

Does a component video input offer a better quality than s-video on a standard TV (not high definition)?

Thanks

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

3. Andrew Walbert

Andrew Walbert Stunt Coordinator

I'd agree, the difference between component and s-video is minimal on regular definition television. With HD, though, component will almost always be the best choice, depending on the content being viewed. Of course, the difference between composite and s-video on any tv is substantial when viewing DVD or most video game systems (switching to an S-video connection on my X-Box made a big difference in the quality of the image).

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Very little difference on most 27-36" direct view analog sets. More noticeable on analog rptvs. S-video won't carry 480p or HD signals for HD-ready sets.

5. lee.b

lee.b Stunt Coordinator

For what it's worth..I'm in a writin' mood tonight. I'm as anal as they come (no comments please), I have a 27" wega 300 series and I a/b'ed the s-video and component. I took images and freeze framed and quickly compared. Yes, there is a difference (in my situation)in detail...and it is minimal...but it is decisive. Freeze frame comparison will show the difference. For some odd reason, composite vs. s-video was more difficult for me to discern - even though it's supposed to be more obvious.

And while the difference between the svideo and component is small - it's an improvement any way you slice it...and isn't that what we're all after...

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Well, there is a small difference that I have seen. In my previous setup (84" 4x3) I did a comparison using 20ft S-video and 20ft component cables from the same manufacturer and using a freezed frame from A Bug's Life, Hopper's body as he says "Do I look stupid... to you?". The s-video gave a slight bleeding around Hopper's body which the component did not. There were also some minor colour differences but calibrating both inputs would fix that.

7. Patrick R.E.

Patrick R.E. Agent