What's new

S-video vs Componet cables how much will I be losing ? (1 Viewer)

RussellTodd

Stunt Coordinator
I realize that all things being equal component cables(red,blue,green) is the best option. However, I have an Onkyo TXSR601 hooked up to my Panasonic TH-42PWD7UY and no matter what I do I continually get those "hum bars" or horizontal banding or whatever its called. I know it is caused from interference of some sort. But if I run the components straight from the cable box to the TV then the image is perfect so I know it has something to do with the Onkyo TXSR601. But the panny only has one set of component inputs standard so I would have to run my DVD player with the S-video cable instead of component. That would eliminate my having to run the cable feed thru the receiver. I know that top quality component cables might solve the problem(the ones I am currently using aren't exactly cheap) but considering I would have to buy 3 sets of them and then it still might not solve the problem I would like to consider other options.

So my question is this if I run S-Video for my DVD player instead of component cables. I'm I going to see an inferior picture the Panny is an ED model so I'm wondering if the difference between S-Video and component would even be noticeable. Or should I continue to drive myself nutty trying to resolve the interference issues when I run everything thru the receiver.

Thanks,
Russ

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
It depends on how the ED circuitry works. If the Enhance Definition is works only through component video then you are better off running the DVD player straight into the video portion of the t.v. unless and my guess is that you probably have like a Playstation or X-BOX that is sharing the one Component input. therefore, you may want to look into a component video switcher or find what the problem is and it can some other wiring including power outlets. A power center from Monster Cable or other sources may solve your interference problem.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
One thing to note is if you are using a progessive DVD player or wish to use progressive input, it is only available over the component inputs. S-video and composite are interlaced only. I would track down the interference. It is probably due to a ground loop. Get a "cheater plug" (a 3-prong to 2-prong adapter) and try putting it between any 3-prong plugs and their outlets on the system. If the ground loop goes away, you've found the culprit.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I would at least give the cheapie A/V switcher from RS a try. I have read they are cheap. Does sort of stink that it revolves around the AVR. I think I would even have to buy a new AVR instead of going to svideo from my DVD player and my Display line doubles all sources. It just can't compete any way shape or form to what comes off of component video.

Go buy a new AVR from a place that has a no questions asked return policy and see if that fixes it. If not your not out anything but a little time.

RussellTodd

Stunt Coordinator
Where can I find a cheapie Component Video Switcher. The ones I have seen are all over $100 bucks. I didn't see any on Radio Shacks Web site.

RussellTodd

Stunt Coordinator
I think I found it. I tried a cheater plug and I moved the cable line futher away from the Sub. So far it seems to be working. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Users who are viewing this thread