What's new
World Wide Stereo

component video vs. hdmi vs dvi?? (1 Viewer)

R:o:b

Agent
i just recently upgraded my tv to a 32 inch lcd. im not sure which cord i should buy for my digital cable box??

What are the advantages/disadvantes of each???

i am currently running my xbox through component video and it looks great, so should i buy that for my cable box too??

any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,
rob

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
If your digital cable box has an active DVI connection, that's what I would (and do) use. I don't know of a cable box that uses HDMI connections yet....which doesn't mean that they're not out there somewhere.

Mort

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Correct...DVI is video only and HDMI is both audio and video. If your display has an HDMI interface and your cable box DVI, then you'll need a cable with one type at each end and it will pass video only. My cable company gave me the cable when I ordered the box but a decent quality 6' DVI/DVI or DVI/HDMI cable should be well under fifty bucks. Check out the forum sponser Ram Electronics. No need for the "high end" or high price spread IMO.

Mort

Dan DRC

Stunt Coordinator
I had the same basic questions when I purchased my new tv a few months ago. I would say the best thing to do is to try all of the connections and decide which one is best. It will vary from system to system. I used HDMI on my Directv box and I found the the comp output was just as good, at least on my set and to my eyes anyway. I think it depends on which unit has the best conversion section. In my case it was the tv so comp inputs were just fine.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
since you have a fixed pixel display, a digital connection should reap some kind of benefit. they say on analog display device, there is less of a benefit from a digital. however, i ran digital to my 65" crt rptv and noticed a slight improvement.

overall, i agree with dan. try them out and see if you notice a difference. if not, go with the cheapest solution. :)

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

Not so. Implementation varies, I've seen inputs on digital displays where the YPbPr was superior to DVI. I've reached the conclusion that there is no prediction you can make about what connection you can use. Devices, especially consumer devices, use crappy implementations of signal types all the time, so while in theory maintaining a digital signal may seem easier, in practice it's certainly not always the case. Further, if both are done fully well, they should be indistinguishible in most all cases.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
please note that i put the "should" in italics ... meaning i was too lazy to type what chris did.

so there! ;) :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks