What's new

Panny problem (1 Viewer)

Sam R. Aucoin

Stunt Coordinator
I apologize if this has already been covered.

Today, I replaced my Hitachi 42HDT plasma with a Panny TH-50PX50U.

The Panny has only ONE digital video input: HDMI.

The Hitachi had only one digital video input: DVI.

My "player" components are a Denon 3910 DVD player with DVI output, a DirecTv HD 10-250 Tivo with HDMI output, and a Dish 742 recorder with HDMI output.

To remedy the DVI vs. HDMI "mix-match", I purchased a Gefen 4x1 DVI switcher, along with several cables that had DVI on one end and HDMI on the other. Obviously, I plugged the HDMI end into the components that had an HDMI video output and plugged the other end (which was DVI) into the Gefen. For the Denon DVD player, which had a DVI output, I simply used a DVI-to-DVI cable to connect it to the switcher.

The output from the switcher to the Hitachi was DVI to DVI, and everything worked perfectly.

Then, I arrive with the new Panny, which does NOT have a DVI video input.

Tonight, I hook everything up as before, except instead of running a DVI output from the Gefen to the Panny, I have to run a DVI-HDMI cable to the Panny, as the Pannny has only one digital input (as mentioned above): HDMI.

While connected to the Gefen switcher (remember, the Denon DVD player was connected to the switcher via DVI-DVI), the Denon DVD player put out a picture that looked like I was at the theater. It was perfect. Of course, as the switcher had only a DVI output, I had to purchase a DVI-HDMI cable to connect the switcher to the Panny.

But, when I switched the Gefen for inputs from the DirecTv and the Dish, I received alternating snow/no picture for DirecTV, and alternating no picture/barely readable picture for the Dish. I could not understand why, especially when I changed the DVI output from the DirecTV AND Dish to the switcher input that was properly running the Denon DVD player. Same problem.

Then, I decided to run and HDMI-HDMI cable from the DirecTV receiver to the Panny (by-passing the switcher) and the picture played fine. I did the same for the Dish (that is, by-passing the switcher) and it, too, worked fine.

Any explanation for why my Gefen switcher works for my Denon player using a DVI cable, but the switcher does not work when I connect HDMI to the DirecTV/Dish components and connect the other end of the cable (which is DVI) to the switcher?

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATELY APPRECIATED.

Thanks,

Sam

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Sounds like a copy protection handshake issue ...

have you tried to change the sequence of how you turn on the components?

Regards

Sam R. Aucoin

Stunt Coordinator
Fixed . . .

For some unexplainable reason, the DVI switcher would not pass the HDMI/HDCP signal through the DVI ports - except for one: the Denon 3910 player.

I had to purchase a 3x1 HDMI Gefen switcher. Now, all works well.

Thanks for looking and responding.

Merry Christmas,

Sam

Sam R. Aucoin

Stunt Coordinator
:frowning:

THOUGHT the problem was fixed . . .

This is really frustrating - I purchased a Gefen HDMI switcher to replace the 4x1 DVI switcher in an attempt to eliminate any "DVI-to-HDMI conversion" issues, and I am STILL having the same problem.

Denon 3910 DVD player - video dropout occurs maybe once or twice during an entire 2 hour movie

DirecTv HR10-250 - video dropout occurs at least once every 5-10 minutes; REALLY annoying

Dish 942 HD recorder - same as with DirecTv, but not as often

Again, any suggestions would be much appreciated. When you fork over this kind of money for a plasma TV, it seems (at least to me) you should not have to experience problems within 5 days . . .

What I cannot understand is the almost perfect "play" of the DVD player, but NOT the satellite receivers.

Regards,

Sam

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
The HDCP implementation over HDMI is likely still the problem. You won't like this idea, but try using component inputs and I'd wager your problems will disappear. The only other alternative I can think of would be to route all you cables through an AVR that utilizes HDMI/DVI inputs and one HDMI output to the display.

Mort

John S

Senior HTF Member
Have you checked to make sure all the firmware is up to date on everything? This has fixed quirky HDMI/DVI problems for some people.

Not sure, I still have only worked with DVI and HDMI a little bit. I find these modern displays to be marvelous with plain old decent 480i component video, I don't even bother with digital connections for most people. I just let the display de-interlace and scale it for the most part.

I have found different adapter / cable schemes to solve any problems I have come up with on it.

Digital video connections are still on the cusp, so you are helping blaze the trail so to speak for most of us that have yet to adopt that technology.

Sam R. Aucoin

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I think it is fixed "again" . . .

I called Gefen and they acknowledged a problem existed. They suggested that I toggle the equalizer knobs for each HDMI input by turning it until the picture disappears, and then turning it the opposite way until the picture reappears.

Although the EQ knobs were intended to handle problems associated with "long run" HDMI cables, turning the knobs seems to have fixed the problem in my case for a run of only 1 meter.

I (as well as Gefen) still cannot figure out why the DVD player worked okay, but the satellite (DirecTv and Dish) boxes did not . . .

Oh well . . . such is electronics.

Hope this helps anyone else with a Gefen switcher and the same or a similar problem.

BTW - doing a Google search for "HDMI switchers" pulls up quite a few sites, but the prices are quite a bit higher than Gefen's. I am NOT trying to plug Gefen - just pointing out that Gefen seems to have a cheaper solution that actually works for those with more than one HDMI output device and a display with only one HDMI input.

Happy New Year to all.

Regards,

Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks