1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Component Video Switcher

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James_T, Sep 15, 2001.

1. James_T

James_T Stunt Coordinator

My current receiver (Marantz SR-7000) is incapable of component video switching... can someone recommend a reasonably priced external switcher that can switch between at least 3 sources? Also where can I find it? Thanks.

2. James_T

I just read in another thread that someone has used a radio shack a/v selector to switch between component video sources... does this work with no resolution loss? It just sounds too easy.

3. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Yeah, it is too easy, but true. (I figure that if I'm wrong, someone will chime in.) I did ask about this on another thread, but it sort of got lost after last Tuesday.
    I'm using a Sony A/V switcher right now with 3 imputs. It's round and has a knob in the middle. $13. The rat shack is about the size of half of a carton of cigs. Had one once, but it's gone.
    Anyway, why they do work is because they are passive switchers. Inside the boxes are just wires that pass the signal. Just keep the colours straight.
    An active switcher (like on an A/V receiver, won't work for this because the signal is processed in some way. But that's about all I know.
    Glenn

4. James_T

Glenn,
    Thanks for the info. I was looking into buying an expensive A/V receiver just for this purpose, but if I can get away with the rat shack box for only $20, it'd be nice to save a few thousand bucks. [​IMG]