What's new

Component cables.. What to get? (1 Viewer)

James_Barcus

Agent
I'm looking at getting some better quality component cables. I'm looking at ebay for these because there's some really good prices on there on new cables. I've seen a lot of Monster cables, RCA, Phillips (which I'm using), and Acoustic Research. I was just wondering what brand I should get? I don't know much about this except that the cheaper the cable price, the worse your reception gets.

Vincent_S

Second Unit
Sent you a PM. I have always used Monster and thought they looked good. A lot of people also like Acoustic Research. I don't think you could do wrong with either one. Especially if the price were right.;)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I don't know much about this except that the cheaper the cable price, the worse your reception gets
If you don't know Cables are a hot discussion. Some folks believe that there is no difference and some believe that there is a difference. Some folks' value systems are quite a bit different too. While I might pay for small(or large) differences in $100 set of cables, you may not. Do you catch my drift of where I'm heading?

That said there are plenty of good quality component cables to suggest:

AR is decent. I have a set of these. Mucho Improvement over the Radio Shack and GE I have tried. I bought these because I needed a longer cable than I currently had 6 feet as opposed to 3 and tried these 3 budget brands. Since I'm going thru a money crunch right now I couldn't get what I wanted..

A Friend of mine uses http://signalcable.com/component.html
These produce a wickedly nice picture at 10ft wide. His run of cabling was around 20 feet.
Their service is top notch as well. Their pricing isn't exuberant(sp?) IMHO though I'm sure someone will disagree.

Another nice brand I've noticed alot of folks using is
http://www.rhinocables.com/Pro%20video%20component.htm

Because I had time constraints I didn't go with the Rhino but I would if I could wait. I personally didn't want to be down for a weekish.

AlbertL

Agent
I learned my own lesson with component cables. For quite a while I used some really cheap $12 Rectocon (Wreck-to-con?) component cables, thinking that cables wouldn't matter.

But I got discoloration in my images which I eventually determined to result from poor cable shielding. It was scary; flesh tones would turn orange or green before my very eyes; I thought it was my DVD player or worse, my TV.

A few months ago I invested in two 3-m lengths from bettercables.com and lo, no more discoloration. But more to the point the image quality did improve, although I am not sure if it is night and day.:emoji_thumbsup:

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure someone will tell you that your cables were defective Albert. I honestly don't buy that theory as I've seen the differences they can make.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Look for Canare based cables.

Monster, AR, Radio Shack - while all making good quality cables only promise "Component" video will work.

Component video is a 1940's standard and has never been updated.

The Canare (or Belden) stuff that you can get on EBay or the custom web sites IS designed for HD video applications.

You also have to realize that Cables Dont/Do make a difference.

Let me explain:

Cables Dont usually make a difference on a 19"-30" Tube TV running ordinary component video.

But a 65" HDTV with a 720 or 1080 HD source - they do make a difference in a system.

To keep your cables in perspective: Budget 10% of the equipment cost for the wires. Spend no more than this.

So if you have a $300 television, you should look to a $30 AR or Radio Shack cable. The high-end Monster ZC-300 cable set for $220 wont dramatically improve this system.

If you have a $2500 HDTV and are using a HD source (Not just a progressive-scan DVD player), you can budget $250. But the custom-cable sites and EBay will run you about $60-$90 for good HD rated cables and connectors.

TommyL

Supporting Actor
I just ordered from RHino, and I really like them...so far so good...and priced right!

James_Barcus

Agent
Wow!! Cables are a hot topic!! Thanks for the replies and information.. I guess I just buy a set of cables, and compare? That sounds good to me.. I can always return a set of component cables. I do have a HDTV with HDTV service and as the days go by it's getting better and better!! Maybe with some different cables it could even get BETTER!! :D :D

Jigesh Patel

Stunt Coordinator
I swicthed from Monster Video 3 to BlueJeans Component Cable (Belden Coax 7710A). I am happy with the build quality and improved performance on my interlaced TV. There was no dramatic difference, but improvement was noticeable indeed. Their customer service is simply exemplary and the price is great, too. DVD Etc. gave their component cable a score of 99/100 (if I remember correctly; or it was the highest score amongst the cables they reviewed thus far) in the Sept. 2003 issue.

BetterCables also have very good cables - I have their subwoofer cable and haven't tried their component video cable though. The reviews look good.

Jigesh

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Maybe with some different cables it could even get BETTER
No, No, No.

I hate to burst the buying frenzy that marketing departments have instilled in you, but here is the stone-cold truth:

A cable can in no way, shape or form IMPROVE your audio or video. A different cable can only cause LESS DAMAGE than some other.

If you already have good-quality cables - stick with em. Just make sure your existing cables were built for what you are using them for.

If you have the lowest-priced Radio Shack or AR cables to a:

- Standard grade television
- Display size < about 40"

the budget cables are fine.

But as you go up in display size, or progressive/720/1080 sources to a 50"+ HDTV - your system becomes more sensitive to the cable. Only consider buying a custom-cable for this level system if you dont already have good grade cables now.

All our advice to the original-poster was because he is using budget component cables. He is likely to see an improvement using HD rated coax and connectors. But if you already have good cables - at least do yourself a favor and buy/audition cables from a place that has a good return policy. That money you save if you dont see a difference can go into your "daddy needs a new subwoofer" jar.

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
I see your point. I actually had a full Monster setup, but am swapping everything out just on principle. I'm sure they're fine cables and have done a good job thus far, but I officially put Monster on my banned list of companies, and there cables gotta go.

James_Barcus

Agent
Here's an update.. For the past few days my picture quality has gotten to be remarkable. Crisp, clear, and colorful. I still can't get my color set right because if I set it too low it's kinda bland, and if I go too high the red's and oranges glow. I can't find a happy medium!! Ah well atleast everything else is perfect!! So is what I heard true? That after a few days or weeks of use the picture get's better? My TV reacted almost like it was "warming up" and now is running like it's supposed too. Just a thought!!

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
That after a few days or weeks of use the picture get's better?
A RPTV is an optical device that is sensitive enough to be affected by heating/cooling cycles and the small changes to the mountings internally. This is why it is recommended to bring the new set home, put it in it's final resting place and give it 50-100 hours of use before hireing a calibrationist.

(You DID turn down the brighness at once didnt you? Most TV's are factory-set to be extra-bright in case that unit is selected to be a floor-demo. People are attracted to the brightness at first.)

Get a copy of Avia which has a tutorial and various test-patterns that help you set contrast/brightness, etc. This can go a long way towards setting the proper levels. Just plan to do it again in a month or so, or even hire a professional calibrationist to spend 3-4 hours with the set.

James_Barcus

Agent
I don't have the money to hire someone, so I'm going to purchase the new AVIA DVD.. and yes I did turn the brightness and contrast way way down when I got it.. I can't believe how high they set it!! JEESH. Either way, the picture is great, much more impressive than the last RPTV I had which was a Sony, can't remember model number. I've never been a fan of JVC but this one caught my eye for some reason. I also recently bought a JVC MiniDV camcorder which is also intense in quality! Just wish it had a light... Sorry.. rambling!

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
I suggest you all go read Chu Gai's thread "Let's talk about component cable" or something similar. Very interesting read, and from the other posts I read from Chu, I don't think he's blowing smoke up our rears.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks