What's new

Component cable or Svideo cable? (1 Viewer)

BrentJ

Second Unit
Can I use a monster component cable with an older tv? I'm trying to figure out if it would be better for me to buy an Svideo cable or a monster component cable. I have a Sony DAV-C900 setup and an early 90's model toshiba televison which has a very good picture. thanks for the help!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Does your TV have component inputs? If it does, use them. Otherwise, use S-video.
Just to be sure we're talking about the same thing, a single component connection requires three connectors at each end and three separate wires. A composite connection involves a single connector at each end and just one wire.
M.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
MY guess is that a TV from early 90's won't have S-video or Component inputs.

Composite=One yellow cable connection

S-Video=One connection (looks like a keyboard or mouse connection)

Component=Three connections (usually green, red and blue) not to be confused with standard yellow video and red/white audio.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
If the TV has a regular video jack and no S-video jack and all you have is a component video cable set lying around, then you can use the green wire for video, the blue wire for left audio and the red wire for right audio. It would work excellently but be tremendous overkill.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
MY guess is that a TV from early 90's won't have S-video or Component inputs.
I agree with you on component inputs, but S-video was very common on higher-end models in the early 90s. (I still have a 1992-model Pioneer Elite RPTV with multiple S-video inputs.)

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks