What's new

Complete newbie to blu-ray needs purchase advice (1 Viewer)

Brad Newton

Second Unit
I want to purchase a blu-ray player to connect to my Samsung LCD tv. At this time, my receiver is a Pioneer Elite 45, which I will be upgrading in the future. I guess I have 2 situations that I need answers before & after I upgrade the receiver. I am considering the Panasonic 35 & 55 and the Samsung 1500 & 2500. Which of these units would I need to benefit from the newest sound tracs on blu-ray now and after the receiver upgrade and how would it have to be connected? I would prefer to be able to watch a dvd without having to have the surrond receiver on (ease of use for wife).

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
If you want the newer tracks on your older receiver you need the higher numbered models with the analog 7.1 outs. If you change receiver it doesn't really matter, if you get receiver that decodes the new codecs.

If you want to make the system easy to use for your wife, IMO just buy a good universal remote like a Harmony, instead of trying to hook it up for TV speaker usage. After all, doesn't your wife deserve surround sound too? Properly programmed, all she'd have to do is hit the "watch movie" button and everything would turn on & be switched appropriately, only thing she has to be trained to do is keep the remote pointed at the equipment until the macro finishes firing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks