What's new

Comparison of PS2 and X-Box launch (1 Viewer)

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Bungie, Bioware (With their up and coming SW.KOTOR)Electronic Arts, Take2 Software, Microsoft, and Midway
I was with you until you said Midway, they are the current Kings of Crap Games, I believe they took the crown from Acclaim last year after Acclaim decided to stop releasing 100 titles a week.

Demetri K

Stunt Coordinator
In response to Jeff Kleist's statement. Yes I said that but I also said that they are very proud of there products that they produce. Yes the Xbox team needs to make games that they will play. FPS are not big over there( or not that I know of), but at the same tile they are less likely to buy it(not because it's american) but they are pretty much right now hooked on sony(as far as ps2). Nintedo is doing poorly as well. But I think it will all pick up once the second year for xbox kicks in. But I do not think that in japan Xbox will become number 1. Unless they get s trong support for companies like capcom, square, and Konami. This companies will make or break the Xbox in Japan. That's what it comes down to. I say make games for every system so we get variety. I think it is a great Idea what capcom is doing, resident evil goes to gamecube(except RE online for ps2), and the Devil May cry francise going to ps2. But Don't leave the Xbox out. All 3 of these systems can thrive if marketed right.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Considering what games Nintendo has out, they're doing pretty good. If a Zelda or Mario game was released at launch and they were doing like they are now, then they would be doing bad.

MS tried to pull out the big guns for the Japanese launch, like a special bundle package dealy thingy, some Sega games, and a lot of future titles that the Japanese will probably like, and they still failed. Nintendo had a quite, small launch and didn't try to overhype it. In comparison, Nintendo was a LOT more successful and still is.

The only things that you so eloquently stated in your post was that the Japanese do not like American product. I think a majority of us here are quite aware of this. You'd have to be a fool to think the X-box would not have fared better if it were a Japanese product
This is not necessarily racism. I agree with the Japanese sentiment. American products in general ARE inferior to their European and Japanese equivalents. This is not the case with the X-box and it won’t take long for the Japanese to figure this out.

Do you think Americans were suspicious of the first Hondas that shipped over here in the early 70s? Probably 99% of Americans drove domestic cars at the time, but quality has a funny way of catching on.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The thing is, the Japanese people know how superior the X-Box is over the GCN and PS2. The lack of games is why they don't own one.

Back to the Honda comparison, whats the point of buying a quality car if you can't drive it anywhere or there's no way to get gas?

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
American products in general ARE inferior to their European and Japanese equivalents.
WOW that is a bold statement. I can't think of something Im looking at that doesn't have a superior American counterpart. My entire CPU is almost all American designed and made (Though most likely the labor was outsourced to a 3rd world country). My desk and it's furniture were American made and the top standard for furniture is American. American CARS are vastly superior to their Japanese and European counter parts (As far as butt rocking performance goes. American LITERATURE and FILM are just WORLDS ahead of what anyone else is doing. American FOOD is Vastly Superior. Our health system, education..I could go on and on. The whole point is that the rest of the world KNOWS (this is where the post gets back on topic) that American products are superior, but WORST of all they KNOW that WE know they are, so they are leery to support us. Therefore the X-Box faces an Xbox climate in a country that is leery of foreign products firstly, and secondly VERY leery of Americans.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Politics people, we should all watch it ;)
If MS was serious about Japan, they'd launch with an RPG, some licensed anime titles (preferably Gundam), a Girlfriend simulator along with the fighting/driving games.

Gary King

Second Unit
American CARS are vastly superior to their Japanese and European counter parts (As far as butt rocking performance goes. American LITERATURE and FILM are just WORLDS ahead of what anyone else is doing. American FOOD is Vastly Superior.
Let's not confuse opinions with actual superiority, now.

I love American food as much as the next guy (and, like most people who spent a significant amount of time in Texas, consider Barbeque to be the all-important 5th food group), but I can't get enough of Ahi sashimi, Unagi nigiri, and beef teriyaki.

And if it weren't for David Foster Wallace and Thomas Pynchon, there wouldn't be much in the way of good recent American literature, either.

And unfortunately, with the exception of the Dodge Viper and Hummer, even American cars have forgotten what make American cars great... it was the whole "carve a car out of a solid block of steel, insert jet engine" mentality of the 60s muscle cars.

As far as electronics go, it's really a crapshoot. There are some Japanese brands that will last forever, and some that almost always have problems as soon as the warranty is expired (i.e., Sony). The same thing's true over here. American technology, on the other hand, is the best in the world, hands-down.

Chris_Anders

Stunt Coordinator
The thing is, the Japanese people know how superior the X-Box is over the GCN and PS2. The lack of games is why they don't own one.
This could change. Check this out. Games coming out for the xbox in 2002 and just beyond. This could take a minute to type.

Elderscrolls III

Fellowship of the Ring

Brute Force

Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance

Robin Hood: Defender of the Crown

Duality

Bounty Hunter

PROJECT EGO

Turok:Evolution

Serious Samn

Ghost Recon

Hitman 2

Yager

Commandos 2

Galleon

Doom II

Superman

Bond 007: Agent under fire

GTA3

Terminator

The Thing

Rocky

Bruce Lee

Panzer Dragoon Next

Moto GP

Sega GT 2002

Spy Hunter

Hunter the Reckoning

Crash

Enclave

Project K-X

Soul Calibur 2

Rainbow Six III

Tony Hawk 4

Maximum Chase

Malice

Vexx

Orchid

Medal of Honor

Resturn to Castle Wolfenstien

Ghost Recon

Unreal Championship

Deus Ex 2

Nomads

Breed

Dino Crisis 3

Halo 2 (Prob. mid-late 2003, no word yet, but that would likely be the earliest possible date if it were in the works)

Star wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Stident

Heaven and Hell (A RTS! finally)

2002 Fifa World cup

NFL Fever 2003 with online support

I may be missing a few, but you get the gist of it I'm sure. There ARE games coming out this year for the Xbox. Some of them will be mindblowingly awesome, some will blow. But there will be a large library of games available. I think the Xbox will be ok.

Demetri K

Stunt Coordinator
Plus out of that list alot of games will be either hitting the ps2, gamecube(especially Soul Calibur 2 which is one of the games that would apeal to the Japan market) or PC( some are even out for pc already).

Chris_Anders

Stunt Coordinator
Plus out of that list alot of games will be either hitting the ps2, gamecube(especially Soul Calibur 2 which is one of the games that would apeal to the Japan market) or PC( some are even out for pc already).
This is true. But my point is is that many games will be on the xbox, regardless of whether or not they are ports from the PC, or other consoles. So there will indeed be a large library for the Xbox. The larger the choice, the better. Plus, there will be more that might just get released in Japan before they hit the US.

When choosing between a system one looks for the games (typically) and when the Xbox's library is large, what would stop someone from choosing the Xbox over the PS2?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
You're not getting the point. Their TASTES are different, and the majority of those titles are coming to other platforms that DO stand a chance. It's not QUANTITY, it's QUALITY. Superman for N64 sold a bajillion copies in the US, and it was one of the worst games in recent memory. Not to say that most anime games don't suck equally, but they don't want to play Doom III, Rainbow 6, Bond, Halo, NFL etc etc. At least not in the droves that would matter.

paul h

Supporting Actor
With millions of PS2's and a fair amount of Gamecubes in japanese homes already isn't the question more like what games that will be 100% exclusive to the XBox would make them buy one?

Brand loyalty is also a factor, people all over the world bought a PS2 regardless of the quality of software. Same will happen with the PS3...the XBox will do ok but has no chance of catching the PS2.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If it game down to a choice between an X-Box and PS2 where the person deciding was very close to getting either in every way, brand loyalty would raise an issue.

Most people in Japan already have a PS2 and/or GameCube. The X-Box is not appealing to them for the exact reasons tha the PS2 and GameCube are.

Actually, its not quantity or quality, its quantity OF quality. If a console has only 3 good games in its whole lifetime and those are the only 3 games released, then nobody will want it since it ain't worth it.

Yoshi Sugawara

Stunt Coordinator
All XBox needs is a killer app for it to be successful in Japan. MS has enough marketing muscle be at least a modest success in Japan.

American CARS are vastly superior to their Japanese and European counter parts (As far as butt rocking performance goes. American LITERATURE and FILM are just WORLDS ahead of what anyone else is doing. American FOOD is Vastly Superior. Our health system, education..I could go on and on. The whole point is that the rest of the world KNOWS (this is where the post gets back on topic) that American products are superior, but WORST of all they KNOW that WE know they are, so they are leery to support us.
Hmm...I sense much jingoism in that statement. Tastes are all subjective, really.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
It needs more than A killer app. It needs a bunch of killer apps.

Since Nintendo has a good reputation, so all it would need is one amazing game to sell consoles, but a brand new competitor who has little to offer needs a lot of amazing games to get business going.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks