What's new

How many people out there are sitting on the fence about what system to buy? (1 Viewer)

I follow this forum pretty closely, and I read about anything I can get my hands on regarding the new systems. I got to be honest, I am completely undecided about which system will be better. I've read a lot of the faq's about each of the systems, and read almost every forum post that deals with the subject, and I keep flip flopping.
I have a dreamcast which I love, but its about time to trade up come November. The Ps2 really doesn't appeal to me. I sware the Dreamcast games i've played are better. I'm not trying to rip on the ps2, but I just felt the launch was less than impressive, although NBA street is absoulutely great.
I'm don't understand all the technical specs, but I will be buying either a Gamecube or a X-box. I'm only going to get one system because hopefully that will be enough to entertain me, but I honestly can't decide. I've read all the posts saying the X-box is better or Gamecube is better and until recently I was firmly in Gamecube camp. Rouge Squadron looks amazing. I've always had a Nintendo system, and have some loyalty to them. Then a couple days ago, I decided to play my old N64. I couldn't find a game I even wanted to play. I feel like I really got burned on the N64. Anyways right now I'm leaning towards the X-box. I don't really like zelda so not being able to play it won't be that big of a deal. I'm a big fan of sports games, and I think all the systems will be pretty equipped with those since EA and Sega will be putting their games on all systems.
My Question is who else out there is sitting on the fence like me, and honestly have no idea which system they'll get on launch day.
Also I am looking for some unbiased opinions about which console will be more powerful. I've read sites that swear the Gamecube will be more powerful based on a technically breakdown of the components and some that say X-box will. I've also read something about the x-box not having enough ram or something to do everything it claims. Please make the comparisons as honest and simple as possible.
Thanks.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'll be getting a Dreamcast, since I figure stores will cut prices dramatically in order to free up shelf space. :)
Then again, I'm a complete vulture where videogames are concerned.

Duane_T

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Dreamcast that I love. I bought it last winter and will probably be using it till next spring.
I won a PS2 about 2 weeks ago, but haven't really played with it alot (DC games keeping me busy).
The N64 really never had many games that interested me, so I think the Gamecube is out.
I have been really interested in the Xbox, and will probably buy one - but with the DC and the PS2 I think I will wait till spring to decide.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
A friend of mine who is a girl asked me what game system she should get. I reccommended the PS2. Here's why:
The $300 price will go down, but that much for it is not bad. It also plays DVDs, CDs, PSX games, and PS2 games. She doesn't have a home theater setup or anything, and she could still get use out of it. The PS2 might not have the best graphics, but they are up there. She doesn't play RPGs or racing games or many games at all. She just wants something to play games on whenever she wants to. I told her not to get an X-Box since it uses functions she could care less about (the online function would be useless to her since she doesn't play online games and isn't interested in it) and she would have to pay more for the DVD function. I don't think she will get a console any time soon, but that is what I reccommended to her.
I suggest that anyone who is on the fence should wait until January. Then, people will be getting rid of things on Ebay or other websites for cheaper prices than the original prices, plus you will know which console you will want based on the games.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Excellent advice, Morgan. Unless there is a console exclusive that you know you can't live without, probably the wisest thing to do would be to hold off for a while. And if your friend doesn't need the bells and whistles that the Xbox comes with, then the PS2 is a good choice.
I have read in a few places that this console "war", if there is one, will not be decided this holiday season, but next. Predicting a console's future based on launch titles is a risky proposition at best. Wait until the game developers find ways to exploit the console's capabilities, see which consoles are getting the games you think you will play, and remember that big titles will likely be released on more than one system.
Not that my opinion is worth a tinker's cuss, but I've been quick to jump on Morgan when I disagreed with him in the past, so I thought it only fair to point out that I think he's right on the money with this one! :)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The reason that I am opposed to the X-Box so much is that I think MS has overkill. Its TOO powerful. I am excited about playing games in my basement/theater on the big screen in High Definition with 5.1, but I don't see how many people will use these abilities. Also, the phone line isn't accessible to that room, and to use it online would require moving it, which will be a pain because of its size. I hope that someone makes a keyboard and mouse so that the online games are better. I will own one, but I'm gonna wait.
My friend does not even have a big screen TV or speaker setup. She has a cable modem, but she probably will get rid of that soon for DSL, and thats only because her mom likes the fast internet speed. The power of the X-Box would just go to waste, and I don't think she's into Mario and Zelda. Thats why I reccommended the PS2.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
It's in my nature to want just about every system in some way or another. But I'm reasonable and won't pay $400 for a system because of 1 or 2 games.
The DC was one of the best semi-impulse purchases I've ever made. In about I year I've bought more games for that system than I did for PSX and N64 combined.
There hasn't been a whole lot on PS2 yet that has impressed me. If I bought one today, it would only be to play Gran Tourismo 3. There are a number of games coming that do look impressive, but I still don't think it's really worth it.
Gamecube looks like it could be a good system. Many of the screens I've seen for it have impressed me. But I feel burned by the N64, more than I have any other system. There just weren't very many games that I thought were any good. I bought the system on it's release day with Mario and Pilotwings and didn't purchase another until Zelda, which I waited a year to get. I've added F-Zero X and Star Wars Racer (cause it was super cheap). I'm afraid GC will be the same. One or two great games and the rest filler. Unfortunatly with Nintendo, unlike Sony, that just may be enough.
X-Box I'm mostly excited by it's potential. The graphics in some of the games are astounding, and I can only imagine what the 3rd and 2nd generation is going to look like. I'm mostly interested to see what is going to happen when developers start experimenting with online games and the Hard Drive. A whole mod community and online games through a box without the headaches of a PC seems great to me. Not only that, but the amount that a normal joe could do may be amazing. There's already things like Emulators, VCD and MP3 players for the DC. With the familiar achitecture of the PC and an Ethernet port on the back, I can only imagine what people are going to try.
Unfortunatly, MS is trying to get away from the line of thinking that this is a PC in a box, and it may work against them in some ways. Comments that people chatting in quake, or 4 kids sitting around a TV with Keyboards and Mice is rediculous goes to show that they might not quite understand their audience. People don't sit and chat in Quake, they post short comments which can add some sense of not just playing bots, as well as help in team games. People gather around 1 TV to play sports games, and party games and fighting games. The ideal way to play Quake games is with each person at their own screen with controller of choice. I think MS could, with a little effort take over console and PC gaming with one swoop. But they seem to be batting for a single instead of the fence.
None of the current crop of games for XBox have me terribly excited either though. Much looks like it could be cool, as does Halo, but nobody is saying that these are amazing system sellers like they were with Mario and NFL2K.
I may break down in November, but I'm on the fence and taking a wait and see attitude right now.
------------------

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Just out of curiosity, Graeme, have you seen anything on Project Gotham or DOA3? I realize that these are specialized games (racing and fighting, respectively), but in looking at video and screenshots they look like they are going to be incredible games. I have never bought a racing or a fighting game in my life, but these two will be the first ones I pick up, along with Halo. I downloaded the E3 trailer for DOA3 from ign, and I just stared at the screen in shock! By far the most beautiful game I have ever seen. I'll have to wait to judge the gameplay, of course, but so far all the pieces are there.
Still, they may not be everyone's cup of tea, I can understand that.
There are a lot more Xbox games that look great, but so far I will admit there isn't that one MUST-HAVE exclusive that sells so many units. That's one area that Nintendo seems to do a better job in--if you like their style of games, no one does it better and the only way to play them is by getting a Nintendo.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
I think it really has to do with what you really want to get out of the system you buy:
Hardware abilities:
Xbox is the most capable and powerful hardware wise and its very simple to develop for.
Game Cube: Has less hardware and space for games but does it does run games very well when the hardware it has is used well by the developer. Quite a little powerhouse really, but not as strong as Xbox.
PS2: The wimp of the bunch, but it seems to be holding its own for now. The most difficult to develop for at the moment.
Games:
PS2: Holds the crown for now and has the advantage of being able to include all of the PSX titles too. Tell the truth I prefer the DC titles but if if you have a hard time walking without a limp in the PS2 section of the game store by all means grab one of these fine systems up, just do it after November.
Xbox: If you like the games for the DC I have no doubt in my mind that you'll love the games for Xbox. Right now I have to put the Xbox and the Game Cube at a tie, because I haven't played much of either so far. BUT if your one of those guys that keeps saying "I just don't see any games that excite me for the Xbox" your only fooling yourself bro and you really shouldn't be interested in gaming in the first place. That's my opinion take it or leave it.
Game Cube: Nintendo has one of the strongest development teams and has had a very good record of proving it. If you like Mario/Zelda/Metroid/Pokemon look no further because you'll only see them on this system. RL 2 is a really pretty game but does have its down falls, but is a sure winner for a starwars fan. All I can say to those that are buying a GC instead of a Xbox or PS2 just for this game is: what are you going to play after RL? Are there any other games that have you just as excited? Oh and I bet Nintendo will reveal the next Mario Game at spaceworld, just got a feeling about it.
The games should be the most important factor to you, but try to look at the long run on who's going to be able to produce the best games for you in the future too. A new system has an advantage over an older one because the hardware is the latest and greatest allowing the games to be taken farther than before.
If someone asked me to help them choose what system to buy:
I would try to steer them away from the PS2 not because I don't care for the system but because it is the oldest, weakest hardware and is the least value for your money, even with the price drop. $260.00 for PS2/PSX(worthless if you already have one and if you don't why would you want to play outdated PSX games now? That's like watching VHS when you have a DVD player)/DVD player/CD player(add $30 if you want a remote). Sure it has some great games but a lot of them will be ported to other platforms now that there are some to go to. Note it would take another ~$140.00 to get to the same hardware options as the Xbox.
That leaves the Game Cube Vs the Xbox and this is where it gets fun. Basically Nintendo (Not Game Cube!) has a proven track record for some really cool games. If the Big N games do it for you then get a Game Cube and save yourself a $100. If you are sick of the kiddie looking games with the same friggin cute characters then forget the Game Cube and get the Xbox. Both are good values in my opinion.
Xbox offers the best hardware available for games right now( including the HD and the BB connection), Plays DVDs up converted to HD if you want and plays CDs. all for 329.00(including the required remote for DVD/CD)
Nintendo offers a great system for $200.00 but does not have the HD option or the BB connection. Some may say you don't need it and true right now you don't for the GC, but wouldn't it be nice if the option was there anyway. The GC could use a HD for storing new game levels, patches, bonus game characters. Without a HD that option is gone. What you buy is what you get period, so if a developer wants to add more to their game they HAVE to make a sequel instead of just adding more. Think of where Doom, Quake, Halflife, Everquest would be without mods or expansions. Xbox will be able to cater that type of gaming environment and the Game cube will not. If that doesn't make any difference to you then by all means take the Game Cube and enjoy your Mario utopia :).
For me I am going to buy a Xbox at launch, it has all the things that I love about Console gaming and PC gaming all in one sweet package. Then I'll buy a Game Cube next year after I see what Nintendo does with it. (hopefully a different story from the N64 days)
All of the above are my opinions about each system. If you don't agree with me then too bad! Its MY brain and I will do with it as I please. You could always try changing my opinion but it will take a good argument backed up with facts :)
Dean

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Wow! I think that is the biggest post I have ever made. Damn I can blabber when it comes to gaming systems
blush.gif

Dean

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I respect your opinions, and many are justified, but some of your facts are wrong.
The N64 had a bad software lineup because it used cartridges. Nintendo learned from that, and used what it learned to make the console way better. Developers like this, and are going to go to it now, giving it better software. Also, the GCN is supposedly easier to develop for. Nintendo hasn't announced all of its launch games for the japanese launch, so who knows what will be available for the american launch? Nobody has seen any real screenshots or video from Mario, Pokemon, or Zelda (some screens from Metroid have been released), so nobody knows anything about them. As for what has been announced, I see more software at the launch for the GCN that could keep me amused than for the XB launch, and the GCN hasn't even had its full launch list announced! A lot of the good XB games won't be out for a while because they are online, and the online won't be available until next year. The GCN is also cheaper than the X-Box, and if you added the modem and HDD, it would probably still be.
While you do pay an additional ~$140 for the same features on the PS2 that you get on the XB, you get the ability to play PSX games and an extra 32 GB of storage on the HDD. If the PS2 had a HDD, BB modem, and no extra features beyond that (like the XB) it would probably be the same price, if not cheaper.
I've said it before, I'll say it again: the XB is too powerful. Nobody can take advantage of the abilities except for the special few. This is not a good business strategy, because the main audience is not a bunch of home theater fanatics above the age of 20. The GCN has great games and lots of power, so everyone can enjoy it.
Some people might like cute characters, so it might not be a bad thing. Who cares if the characters are cute if the gameplay is good? Have you heard anything bad about how the GCN or the games play? The X-Box has barely been seen complete, and the demos/videos are not that impressive (thats not a hardware problem, its a publicity problem). Mario 64 was just voted (by the people who visit the site) as the most influential videogame ever. What console was that on? Not even all of the games are kiddie games. Zelda might have kiddie looking characters, but so did many Final Fantasy games. I don't see why people keep thinking that kiddie games are bad. Is someone going to make fun of you if you play a game with a fluffy character in it?
The PS2 is very much worth it. Metal Gear Solid 2, Silent Hill 2, Final Fantasy X-XII (at least up to that point), SSX, and many other games are on that console. Some may end up on other consoles, but so did many good DC games. Does that make the DC a worse console?
Also, what games make the XB worth it? The ones that won't be available for a year? The ones that nobody has seen run smoothly? The ones with the Photoshop lens flares? Some may warrant a buy, but the same goes for other consoles.
Why pay $400 for an XB, DoA3, and Project Gotham (I heard the final title is Gotham Racing) when you can pay the same for a GCN, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Rogue Leader, a memory card, and a second controller (if not more)?

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Morgan I knew I could count on you to reply :)
A lot of what you said is the same as what I said, IF you like the games and you don't care about the HD/BB by all means get a Game Cube, you'll love it. I know I'll enjoy playing some of the games. Monkey ball actually has me a little interested, neat game. Anyway the main point of the post was if it floats your boat get it. You know what I'm the most excited about and I get the impression that the system that fits you the best is the GCN. Both are right answers in my book so we both win.
Dean

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Xbox for me. Already have the PS2.
I hate cutesy characters and fuzzy little kids games, EVEN if the gameplay is good.
But, as stated before, whatever floats your boat. No one can put a price on someone elses pleasure.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
I have no idea which one I'll buy, or if I'll even buy one. I don't have a 4:3 TV and won't buy any games that don't have a 16:9 mode. That may leave me without any system for the next few years. We'll see what the games are like.
If I can get the classic Mario, Zelda, etc, in a 16:9 mode, I'll bite on a Gamecube in a heartbeat. If I can get them at 480p or better I'll bite even harder. I bought the N64 on it's release date and stockpiled great games for awhile. Sold it a few years ago and wish I hadn't. Anyway, my favorite games were the 4 player stuff: Mario Kart & F-Zero. There's nothing quite like attacking one another. Again, though, I'm not interested unless it's got a 16:9 mode that works well.
I finally got a chance to play GT3 in 16:9 and the 16:9 mode doesn't do a damn thing unless you're in multiplayer. And then, it shrinks the playing screens up, adding all sorts of empty space to the picture. With my 65" set, I should get two full 30"+ images. Instead, I got about two 20" images with white borders, lots of black space, and the speed/engine data underneath the actual image (so you have to look away to see what's going on). No good. And of course when I wanted to play alone, it used a 4:3 image.
furious.gif

I understand that most people have 4:3 sets, but a proper 16:9 mode doesn't seem like it would be all that hard to implement in a game.
------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
Ok, I admit it: I set you up the bomb.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I want to get a GCN at launch, but only if I have at least $100 after leaving the store (Metal Gear Solid 2 and Silent Hill 2). I will get an X-Box, and you want to know why? Because I will probably have one of the best videogame setups you will ever see, if and when I get it. I know thats not a good thing for me to say, but anyone who has seen my theater will agree. While some people have setups like mine, not many will put an X-Box in there, and I said it would be one of the best, not the best. I would love to play game with 5.1 and High Def, but I don't see that as being as much of a selling point as good games is, and that is why I am getting the GCN. I think everyone can agree that Nintendo has always delivered the goods for its consoles. Some people don't like fluffy characters and happy music, but that doesn't make the gameplay suffer, and that is what is important. From what I have seen, Nintendo hasn't announced many cutesy games. Mario is supposed to "grow up" according to Miyamoto, Link has always been more adult than the rest of the games (and the GCN will probably take it to a more grown up level), Resident Evil Zero is a GCN exclusive (and RE is not for kids), and since when has Metroid been a childish game (I heard the NES one had a way to see Samus naked, a friend of my brother said he got it by beating the game a bunch of times). I think the GCN will definitely have good software, and that is why I am buying it. 5.1, high def, internet play...those are just bonuses that I could care less about unless there is a good game to play them with. I have not seen anything on the X-Box that entices me enough to get it at lauch, and what has already caught my eye for it could end up on another console, maybe minus some quality, but it would still be there. I would rather get DoA3 on PS2 or GCN than X-Box for the sole reason that I already would have a GCN and PS2 and wouldn't need an X-Box to play that game.
I will get an X-Box though. And it will be great.

Tom Oh

Second Unit
I have a DC, which I love and still play. I'm greatly looking forward to Shenmue 2, and PSO ver.2.
Having said that, I finally gave in and bought a PS2. The only reason was FINAL FANTASY X.
Cost of purchasing new systems are not an issue for me. However, I try to keep it to around 2 systems. For me it's the s/w and MGS2, Silent Hill 2, and FFX was too good to pass up.
------------------

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I have no idea which one I'll buy, or if I'll even buy one. I don't have a 4:3 TV and won't buy any games that don't have a 16:9 mode. That may leave me without any system for the next few years. We'll see what the games are like.
If I can get the classic Mario, Zelda, etc, in a 16:9 mode, I'll bite on a Gamecube in a heartbeat. If I can get them at 480p or better I'll bite even harder. I bought the N64 on it's release date and stockpiled great games for awhile. Sold it a few years ago and wish I hadn't. Anyway, my favorite games were the 4 player stuff: Mario Kart & F-Zero. There's nothing quite like attacking one another. Again, though, I'm not interested unless it's got a 16:9 mode that works well.
I finally got a chance to play GT3 in 16:9 and the 16:9 mode doesn't do a damn thing unless you're in multiplayer. And then, it shrinks the playing screens up, adding all sorts of empty space to the picture. With my 65" set, I should get two full 30"+ images. Instead, I got about two 20" images with white borders, lots of black space, and the speed/engine data underneath the actual image (so you have to look away to see what's going on). No good. And of course when I wanted to play alone, it used a 4:3 image.

My intention is not to attack or insult.
This is the problem with having a good gaming forum combined with a home theater forum.
If your only criteria for a game or console is how it will display or sound on your HT you are not allowed to call yourself a gamer. The very moment you begin to care more about 16x9 than the depth and art of gameplay you should take a step back.
The original NES Zelda is just as fantastic in a 4:3 window on your 65" HD set as it is on a 13" kitchen TV. It's all about how you and the game interact...not how the game and your hardware interact.
-Camp

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I agree. The only time that should come into play is if there is another version of the game with those enhancements.

paul h

Supporting Actor
hmmmm...i was on the fence but am now swaying towards the XBox, i'm happy with my PS2 and the games on the way but Unreal Championship, Doom3, Quake4, Halo, and MaxPayne alone are enough to make me want an XBox more than a Gamecube...even with Rogue Leader!
I likes my FPS!

Mario_C

Stunt Coordinator
I will be getting a Game Cube. I already have a PS2. But after reading the article on this months Next Gen Mag about all the problems with the X-box games and controller I will get a GC. The August issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly rated the X-box the biggest dissapointment of the of E3.
------------------
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks