What's new

Comparing B&W Nautilus 805 to LSi9 (1 Viewer)

Doug Z

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks so much so far for all the input, the more I look at the Swans the more I like, especially considering the price. I had a chance to hear a pair of Studio 40 Paradigms today powered by parasound and again something just doesn't sound right, it seems like the mid's were slightly muddy but the highs were near perfect, maybe a setting but there just seems to always be something about them that my ears don't like. The old lady & I are looking to get out of the townhome and get into a single-family pretty soon so that will put my purchase on hold for a short while, oh yeah I said short:wink:. What is the inventory look like on the black-cherry 2.1's, are they in stock at audio insider yet? If I plan on separates the B&W's just don't fit the budget and by what you have told me I won't be missing much especially in the HT category. Thanks again thus far.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I pretty much agree what you said,for 2 grand the 805 isn't the one, I would take home,I would get the LSI-25 ;)
But seriously, if I ever replace my LSI's it would only be Maggies.

Bob Saylor

Stunt Coordinator
Everyone has and is entitled to their own opinion. Personally, I don't think the LSi9s can compare to B&W 805s.

Jake S

Stunt Coordinator
I see. Because B&W's have a reputation of being revealing to the point of being harsh, while the LSI's (which I've owned) sounded rather laid back to me. So it must have been a room thing. I don't think "detailed" is really about peronal preference, but I could be wrong. Or maybe I just don't understand what the word means.

one man's "detailed" is another man's "harsh"...one man's "warm" is another man's "veiled"....
this is why audition and personal comparisons are vital.

listen to the Krell bookshelf speakers , then the 805's, then the LSI9's......
and no, don't be snooty, this isn't a joke....

Jake S

Stunt Coordinator
brian, everyone has there own taste and speakers are a VERY personal experiance, don't be a dismissive $*^#, many find the B&W's to be harsh and fatiguing; I don't find them to be so, but then again were not talking about me.....The LSI's have been consistantly receiving outstanding reviews. While it is usually a "get-what-you-pay-for" world, there are often INCREDABLE values to be found....

BrianKR

Second Unit
jake, lighten up buddy, I was only joking.

I would never argue against someone's personal opinion/choice on "any" speaker, it's just pointless/silly. Everyone likes different speakers (sound) for different reasons/preferences.

Yes, I currently own B&W Nautilus speakers.
They fit perfect with the type of sound I am interested in.

I have owned so many different brands of speakers over the years and most likely I will continue to "upgrade" to other brands, as my taste in speakers is ever changing.

I am currently considering selling/trading off all of my B&W's for Dali's.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
This comparison, LSi9 vs. Nautilus 805, is a little off. The LSis should more appropriately be compared to the old B&W CDMNT series or (maybe) the newer 700 series. When doing that comparison, the Polks certainly are a worthy competitor at a better price. I compared the LSi9s with the old CDM1NT and I thought they were equal. It really came down to looks, size and WAF. But the Nautilus line is a level up and makes the even the NTs sound like they're playing inside a box.

Daneel

Stunt Coordinator
I've heard the 805 hooked up to a Parasound Halo setup. It sounded harsh to me, not bad for HT but poor for music.

When I upgraded from my B&W 600 series speakers I looked at a load of speakers, in the end it came down to JM Lab Electra 926 vs B&W 703. The 926s had a more natural sound with just as much detail but no harshness in the highs and so were a clear winner for me.

I suggest you listen to the Electra 906 or the 907 Be if you have the money.

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator
I thought the highs on the 805's were a tad harsh.....but not enough to make me not like them. They image so well and have big sound stage. The Swan 2.1's sounded so similar to them though. They had very detailed highs as well but without any harshness which is more of what I was looking for my uses.

Bob Saylor

Stunt Coordinator
LOL, Lewis. My friend is a polk dealer. I recently had an opertunity to "play" with the LSi9s for some time while waiting for him to finish with another customer.

I personaly own B&W NT1s (now upgraded to 705s) and I'm quite happy with them. The first thing I noticed was that the Polks had a lot more bass than my NT1s. The B&Ws only go down to 60hz but that is not a factor with me as I have the crossover set at 80hz anyway. The 705s are more bass capable but I'm not tempted to upgrade because I wouldn't need it anyway. So, because I prefer the bookshelves crossed at 80 the extra bass of the Polks was not of great importance to me either.

AS I said, everyone has and is entitled to their own opinions. Disregarding the bass difference I honestly didn't think the Polks sounded as clear, real and open as my B&Ws.

I already know that the 805s sound even more real and open than my NTs and that's why I feel the Polks would not compare. Yes the B&Ws are more expensive - maybe even a bit overpriced - and you may be able to realisticly say that they don't sound twice as good as the Polks for twice the price but the bottom line is the Polks don't sound as good - at least not to me.

That being said I do think the LSi9s are very nice speakers and I wouldn't stop anyone from buying them. The 4 ohm thing could be a factor for some folks.

It's just that for those of us that like the B&W sound they just don't sound as good. But, heck, that's just our opinion. If you like the Polks, go for them. :)

Paul Chalk

Stunt Coordinator

I second this recommendation.

I upgraded from B&W 602's to JMlab 906's, and it remains as the best upgrade I've done for my system. I was considering the B&W 805's, but after hearing the Electras it was a no-brainer. The 906's were better in every way, deeper and tighter bass, crystal clear highs with no harshness whatsoever, and an incredibly neutral midrange. To make the deal even sweeter, the 906's are less expensive than the 805's.

Definitely give the Electras a listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks