What's new

Comparable to my DA5ES.... but with... (1 Viewer)

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
I want to get a new Pre/pro or Receiver that is comparable to my DA5ES Sony. I am using a separate amp (Parasound 855a) so i dont really care for amplification power.

I want something that has the auto calibration and video switching capabilities.

What Pioneer Elite XXti/tx etc is my Sony comparable to?

The price I paid for my Sony over 2 years ago was $850.00.

Can I get the same out of a Pioneer Unit for about the same price?

Thanks
Angelo

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The comparable offerings from Pioneer Elite with Auto-MCACC would be the 53TX and 55TXi or the discontinued 45TX. I replaced a Sony 4ES with a Elite 43TX (same as 45TX minus Auto-MCACC) and heard no difference in the sound, but the Pioneer was TONS easier to use, especially the equalizer.

You might also want to look at the Yamaha RXV-1400 and 2400 as well as the HTR-5760 and 5790. The 5790 and 1400 are the same receiver with different asthetics. The 5760 seems to be the cheapest receiver on the market with true Auto-Calibration (Yamaha calls it YPAO) including room-equalization.

The Pioneer VSX-D912 and 914 have automatic speaker distance and level adjustment (as do several HK models). Pioneer will be releasing the the VSX-1014 in august which appears to be similar to the 53TX but with an LCD remote and the addition of PLIIx (maintaining the Auto-MCACC with auto 5band EQ). I'm very interested in the 1014 as a replacement for my 43TX to get the auto calibration and PLIIx. It should have the same or similar amps that the 43TX, 45TX, 53TX, and 55TXi have all shared. It's announced retail price is $700 and it will (hopefully) street around $500. You also can order Pioneer products online w/out having to worry as much about authorized retailer warranty issues like with Pioneer Elite.

Hope this helps :)

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
helps quite a bit Stephen, thanks... I mainly want the Auto Calibration, so the 45TX or 53TX would most likely be the better candidate.

Angelo

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
45TX or 53TX are your best bets in Pioneer Elite, but the Yamaha HTR-5760 would have everything you're looking for for a much lower price (under $400 online). It's also a risk to order Pioneer Elite online because their are no authorized online retailers. The Yamaha HTR series, however, is authorized for online sales. It'll also have DPLIIX which neither Elite model will. Also, the Pioneer VSX-1014 will have everything the 53TX has (as well as DPLIIxin a non-elite package at most likely a very noticable savings.

Hope this helps :)

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
I concur on the Yamaha 5760/5790/1400/ recommendation. If I were to upgrade from my Sony DA4ES, the Yamaha 5790/1400 would definately be in the crosshairs. Definately worth a listen to.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

That is correct. No parametric EQ. :frowning:

However, it can adjust speaker levels, sizes, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks