torn between Sony DA5ES and HK AVR 520

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Angelo_Petralba, Mar 30, 2002.

1. Angelo_Petralba

Angelo_Petralba Second Unit

I've read a lot of info on the Sony DA5ES and the HK AVR 520 but I have not seen them compared against each other. Can anyone with these units tell me WHY I SHOULD CHOOSE one over the other?

My Goal is to have a great Receiver that I can upgrade to a PRE/PRO in the future. They both seems to decode upto 7.1 formats but I just cant decide.

My setup will be 70%/30% HT/Music.

Thanks in advance.

2. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Wow!!! You are comparing two great rcvrs. Good luck!
    My vote is the DA5es for $750=6 amps, 5 year warranty, equilizers for each channel, 3 room 3 source, inputs out the wazoo.
    Do you need 6.1 out of the box???????????? That is the question.
    PS the 8000 is out![​IMG]

3. chung

chung Stunt Coordinator

One thing in the HK's favor: individual inputs for the 5 amps. This allows very flexible use of the internal amps, especially when you use the receiver as a pre/pro, and have a separate stereo power amp for the front L/R.

The Sony, however, is a tweaker's dream come true. Many adjustments, but a little bit of a learning curve to be able to use it well. It has 6 power amps, though. If you need a phono input, the Sony has it, HK does not.

One major advantage of the Sony, IMO: 2 sets of multi-channel inputs. Nice if you have DVD-Audio AND SACD players.

Other differences: HK has HDCD, and Logic 7 decoding for the analog inputs. Sony has 2-way LCD remote control. Both units come with 2 remote controls.

Both units use 192KHz DAC's; HK uses the Crystal DAC's (maybe same ones as in Outlaw 950's?), and I don't know which ones Sony uses. The Sony weighs a little more, too.

4. Angelo_Petralba

Angelo_Petralba Second Unit

Thanks for the Reply guys.Much appreciated!

I really like the fact that the Sony will already be 6.1 out of the box VS 5 channels from the HK.

I currently have hte HK AVR 110 and its decent but I think I got upgraditis and want 6.1 and I just aquired a Toshiba SD 5900 with DVD-A and thats why I want to upgrade.

The 5 year warranty is definitely a PLUS and the fact that I can adjust EACH speaker with the Sony EQ.

Price wise- I can get the HK for 622 shipped vs 800 for the Sony.

The remote control is not a big deal cuz i already am a very satisfied mx-500 owner.

uuugghh..Decisions Decisions!!

thanks again..please keep pluggin in your ideas!

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Chung, I've heard the term "Logic 7" before, but can you explain what it does. It does not seem to be a very common feature.

I'm thinking the Sony ES receivers use Burr-Brown DACs, but I could be wrong. Sony is using Burr-Brown DACs in its SACD players.

6. Will

Will Guest

See this thread for some information on how HK receivers apply logic 7.

7. StevenK

StevenK Second Unit

Doesn't the 520 have 2 multi-channel inputs. a 5.1 and a 8.1? I could be way off.

8. chung

chung Stunt Coordinator

9. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Actually the 520 has 8 channel input, 7.1 pre-outs, 5 channel main in(s) but only five onboard channels of amplification. This hound can hunt, now and in the future.

10. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Check out 6th ave/Oades/JR/onecall for your stuff. Outstanding dealers.
    You will be happy with either one, so buy and give us a full report. Better yet, buy both, and give us two reports. Keep the 3802 and 898 in your short list, but I have to admit that the 520 looks great on the outside. 5.1 is a necessity, 6.1 is nice to have. Do you have a place for 6 speakers? Would you hate yourself if you bought a 5 amp rcvr? Boy, this is exactly what I went through and jumped on the 3802 for $770. But now you can get a 5es for $750. Someone said the Marantz had 6 independent channel adjustments for bass??????[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]