My 222es And My Da5es--cool

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Joy, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Let me preface this by saying that these are first impressions and they are subject to change. My system contains the following;
    DA5ES receiver
    SCD-c222ES CD/SACD multichanger
    Toshiba 2710 dvd player
    Mirage FRx7 fronts
    Mirage FRxcenter
    Infinity inwall surrounds
    SVS 25-31 PCi
    RCA Direct TV receiver
    JVS HIFI vcr player
    System is Avia calibrated with Rat Shack SPL meter to 85db with SVS 1-2db hot.
    I connected the spaghetti in the following manner;
    SCD-c222ES -> DA5ES
    5.1 analog -> 5.1 analog multichannel in
    2.0 analog -> 2.0 analog CD/SACD in
    digital out -> digital coax in CD/SACD
    I am using mostly multichannel auto on DA5ES while manually switching to auto format, multi channel direct, and 2 channel direct. On multichannel auto, sacds' come in as recorded(multichannel or 2 channel) but regular cds' switch to coax automatically( I am still messing with audio split etc..), I use the learned Sony Remote Finder to switch as I need.
    For the 222ES, I have mostly used MCH direct from the menu in which each signal outputs directly from each speaker. I did this to hear source as intended from recording. This result really depended on the source material as Spyro Gyra Florida Straits (off sacd multichannel sampler) provided excellent use of my sub and center channel. On the other hand Roger Waters Live in the flesh was not as impressive with really only front and rear speaker output.
    SRV Couldn't Stand The Weather in 2 channel was awesome. I wasn't as impressed with Boston "Boston" but still better than my cd version.
    Here is where I am torn, auto format on DA5ES (front + sub) vs 2 channel analog direct (multichannel direct seems the same since it uses front L & R channels for analog direct)for redbook cd. I can't decide on an overall one vs other and again seems source dependent. Although I haven't compared a lot of source material yet(so much to hear with so little time: work, family, sleep etc...
    [​IMG] ) I really love my SVS so I am favoring using sub right now. Any ways I hope all this made sense as I am truly an amature who has replace an entire system in 8 months(much the wife's patience).
    P.S. Juan, your gonna love it[​IMG]

2. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

Dan,

I got mine last night and hooked it all up. I listened to the demo Cd's I got with it as well as Totto and Carlos Santana. Santana is only in two channel SACD but Totto is multichanel and I thought the transfer was better on the Totto SACD.

I set my 222ES to use my mains as large and the rest of the speakers to small with the sub on. I really like it this way. I will be playing with it some more tonight.

3. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Juan, If you are a Stevie Ray Vaughn fan you MUST pick up Couldn't stand the Weather!:b Voodoo Child and Tin Pan Alley are awesome and the bass is incredible even without my sub engaged. Now I am jacked that I got full range speakers for fronts(no there not B&W Nautilus but they suit me fine!). This purchase will be good for Best Buy's music department and bad for my wallet[​IMG] .
    Gotta go and listen:b
    P.S. Must exchange In The Flesh as the changer cannot always recognize it no matter what tray it is in but has no other problems with all the other multichannel sacds[​IMG]

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Dan, glad to hear that you are enjoying the 'DA5ES/'C222ES combo. I agree that Couldn't Stand the Weather on SACD is excellent. I love the music and the sound quality.

You can try to return the Roger Waters SACD, but I don't know if it will help. My copy gives me problems on my 'C555ES changers occasionally (TOC errors). I didn't bother to exchange the SACD because many people shared the same experience on Audio Asylum. The Waters SACD is the only one that gives me problems.

5. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

Dan,

I do like Stevie Ray Vaughn so you can be sure I will be picking up a copy. I am really happy with this player and believe it or not, the wife is too.

6. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Juan are you using bass management in the 222 or multi/analog direct? For cd listening are you direct or using DA5ES DACs?

7. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

Dan,

I am using the bass management. Right now I have it setup to where the main speakers are set to large and the rest to small with the subwoofer on. For two channel playback I am going thru the optical connection and I am pretty happy with the sound.

Like you I also have an SVS sub (CSi 20-39) and use it almost all the time for music because the room where all my stuff is in has some very high ceilings. The room is 30' long by 16' wide and even though I have full range speakers in the front (Divas 6.1's) the bass I get out of them is not enough because of the room.