What's new

Collateral (2 Viewers)

Hey guys, I don't have a Digital Television, but I do have a great picture on my Sony Flat Screen. All of my DVD's look great, except Collateral. It looks very grainy and I can't seem to figure out why. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Actually, video doesn't have "grain". It might have NOISE if not exposed properly, but video can never have "grain".

:)

Vincent

Benson R

Supporting Actor
I think collateral looks great, better then a lot of other recent movies I bought.

And the graininess in the night scenes is video noise from shooting in digital video. They did this so there would be detail in night scenes without using artificial looking lighting. A side effect is the noise you can see, but I didnt find it distracting at all.

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
I noticed it was grainy too. The new vers of Heat looked grainy too. Anyone notice this with Ali or The Insider?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I did notice SOME artifcats, but overall the image on this dvd was very beautiful to look at, even blown up on my 96" screen. The image was mostly very smooth with great colors, especially the neon blues in the film, gotta love those neon blues. :)

In esscense, the film's look reflected Tom Cruise's charactor 'Vincent' very nicely, cold, calculating, cool and at times, down right psychotic!

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
There is some noise in the dark scenes, but it shouldn't really jump out, if it does your black level may be set too high.

I use this as one of my references for a few things, it's a superb transfer as I use two high-quality film-showings of this movie as my reference, including one at cinerama.

I watch on an 80inch screen at 720p from a CRT projector.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

All the night footage in HEAT was pushed during negative processing (and those scenes were shot using Kodak's high-speed 5298 500 ASA film stock, to boot), which would result in an increase in both grain and contrast during those scenes.

Vincent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks