Collateral

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Alexander Kuch, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Alexander Kuch

Hey guys, I don't have a Digital Television, but I do have a great picture on my Sony Flat Screen. All of my DVD's look great, except Collateral. It looks very grainy and I can't seem to figure out why. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

2. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

It was shot on video. The grain is normal.

--
    H

3. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Screenwriter

Actually, video doesn't have "grain". It might have NOISE if not exposed properly, but video can never have "grain".

[​IMG]

Vincent

4. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

I think collateral looks great, better then a lot of other recent movies I bought.

And the graininess in the night scenes is video noise from shooting in digital video. They did this so there would be detail in night scenes without using artificial looking lighting. A side effect is the noise you can see, but I didnt find it distracting at all.

5. TommyT

TommyT Stunt Coordinator

Tom
    I noticed it was grainy too. The new vers of Heat looked grainy too. Anyone notice this with Ali or The Insider?

6. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I did notice SOME artifcats, but overall the image on this dvd was very beautiful to look at, even blown up on my 96" screen. The image was mostly very smooth with great colors, especially the neon blues in the film, gotta love those neon blues. [​IMG]

In esscense, the film's look reflected Tom Cruise's charactor 'Vincent' very nicely, cold, calculating, cool and at times, down right psychotic!

7. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

There is some noise in the dark scenes, but it shouldn't really jump out, if it does your black level may be set too high.

I use this as one of my references for a few things, it's a superb transfer as I use two high-quality film-showings of this movie as my reference, including one at cinerama.

I watch on an 80inch screen at 720p from a CRT projector.

8. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Screenwriter

All the night footage in HEAT was pushed during negative processing (and those scenes were shot using Kodak's high-speed 5298 500 ASA film stock, to boot), which would result in an increase in both grain and contrast during those scenes.

Vincent