What's new

Coax out stopped working! (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I only plug in my APEX with Coax when I want to watch a region free DVD in 5.1 (maybe 1 or twice a month). The output has ceased to work. Last time it was kinda iffy, this time, totally dead. The Cable and the reciever are good as my everyday player is still fine. Suggestions? I'm thinking that one of the connections may be broken inside, and that just going in there witha blob of solder will solve the problem. This is supported by the fact that the terminal feels "loose"

Ideas?

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
That's very possible. You could have tightened the connection too much last time. See if you can crack it open without voiding any warranty seal.

Glenn

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
You'd have to crack it. The coax connecter is connected to the case by who knows how. If there is a washer/lock nut on the inside, you might have loosened it while removing the coax wire from the back.

The connector may 'snap in' too. Again if it worked loose, (or maybe it loosened up just enough to twist the wire that connnects to the board, causing it to break) and/or broke, super glue may be in order.

You could take it to Radio Shack, as they do have those. Opening up the DVD player should be easy, but once in a while they will put one screw under a sticker. Oh, and pull the plug out first.

Glenn

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, you've gotten some good suggestions here. If you are able to fix the APEX unit, you would be well served to invest in another coaxial digital cable that can be left connected to the player at all times. Continually connecting and disconnecting cables can lead to the problem you are observing. Best of luck fixing your player.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I was thinking about picking up an optical cable for my Pioneer, my reciever only has 1 coax in :frowning:
Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll go prep the patient ;)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Nothing, I opened it up and the soldering points look fine on the plug. However it still feels loose. It appears that the plug is not grounded to the case or something. Everything I tried to do to attach something from the case to the plug failed :frowning:.
You aren't skilled in the art of soldering are you Keith? :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, sorry, but I have no experience soldering anything. Wish I could help you out. I wonder if anyone on the DIY and Advanced HT Topics Area could help you out.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
If you have a metal case that may very well be the ground, but it should not be loose at any rate.
Is there a nut on the inside that is loose, or possibly something broke off? (Hint - turn it upside down and give it a shake) :)
If it is plastic, then the grounding part probably fell off completely. Yuck!
You won't be able to solder it to a metal case because the heat will just spread out over the entire case.
Glenn

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
No, all the other jacks are screwed to the case, but the coax isn't for some reason. Yes, the case is all metal.

There was nothing inside the case loose when I opened it ;(

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
You did say that you can use a soldering pencil/iron? I'd remove it and take it to a Radio Shack or any electronics repair ship and get another one. (with a nut this time!) :)
Glenn

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I know how to solder wires together, or to a terminal, I don't know how to remove things from boards though :)

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Ah! Then this is a PC board mount. I thought it was just connected to the back of the case. (I missed seeing the picture before, and now the link is dead).

You'd have to remove the circuit board from the case, and heat it up from underneath. However, now that it is 'open', (you need a 2nd person here) the lugs that go through the board and connect with the circuitry probably became loose and thus, you lost the connection. (Bad solder joint)

After the solder is hot, have someone else press it into the board and apply fresh solder. It might be possible to heat it up without removing the board.

Glenn

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I've opened it up and removed the board for inspection already. I didn't see anything, but you may be right. So let me get this straight. I have a standard pencil soldering iron

Touch the iron to the solder underneath until it gets soft, and then push the plug down into it hard? Then put in more solder and try again?

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
You've got it! As an alternative, you could remove the entire socket, solder two wires to each of the points on the circuit board, and connect them to a regular connector that you screw on to the back. (Only do that if the entire socket is f$%*%&ed)!

Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks