What's new

CNR slots (use 'em or not)? (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
My new up and coming t'bird 1gig AMD processor and new Mobo is coming and it has a CNR slot. Which I had to look up and figure out what it is. Anyway, I have a USR 56k modem (about 1 to 2 years old) and was wondering if I can use that slot for it and is there any advantages to that than using a regular PCI slot for it? I hope my STB video card still runs fine with the new mobo. Seems that STB was merged/sold to 3dfx which is now history.
frown.gif

Jay

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Hey Jay!
The CNR slot will not accept a PCI card.
Just wate a PCI lot.
Brent L
------------------
OK guys ..... The tour of the Paradigm
plant is now being planned. GO TO THE HOME THEaTER
MEETS PAGE and register.

Tony Woods

Grip
CNR stands for Communications Network Riser. What it is, is basically a cheap and nuetered version of a PCI modem/LAN card (or ISA for that matter) that only relies on the card for a bare minimum of duties. The rest of the tasks normally done by a quality PCI card are put onto the load of the CPU/mobo and done with software emulation. For this reason CNR cards are generally slower, less dependable and hog more system resources. They however are popular with OEM's because they are cheap.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I don't know of any CNR cards ever being released. Anyone seen them?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks