What's new

CNN Technofile segment (1 Viewer)

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
So I was just watching CNN and their "Technofile" segment came on talking about HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray. In the segment the host and an expert had a Toshiba HD-A1 setup on one flat panel TV and the Samsung BDP-1000 setup on another. The Toshiba was running "The Break Up" while the Samsung was running "Terminator 2".

The expert talked about the price difference in how the Toshiba is half the price of the Samsung Blu-Ray player.

However, and this is what made me go WTF, the expert said that (and I'm paraphrasing here) the downside to HD-DVD is that you won't get as many features as Blu-Ray due to the fact that Blu-Ray can hold extra space compared to HD-DVD.

In conclusion, the expert said to hold off until early 2007 before jumping into high-definition movies. By then he expects there to be many more titles and more hardware support and a more clear path to a winner.

Just to throw in my two cents, but what version of HD-DVD and Blu-Ray was the expert talking about? Up to this point it's HD-DVD that has been jam packed with features. Yes, they are just ported over from the DVD versions, but the "in-movie-experience" and "bookmarks" feature (on WB movies) are right now exclusive to HD-DVD. The inclusion of lossless sound right now is on HD-DVD only. Most Blu-Ray movies are barebones or also have special features ported over from the DVD version of the movies released. Now if he was talking about the FUTURE, then I can understand, but he didn't mention anything about the future, he was speaking as if it were the case between the formats right now. He didn't even mention how the HD-A1 is firmware upgradable via the internet or CD sent from Toshiba, to kind of future proof the player for a little while.

HD-DVD is really starting to seem like the "little engine that could" in all of this.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Ah, another 'expert'. The problem with experts, especially the ones called on by CNN, MSNBC and FOX, are that they are a dime a dozen, and seldom know WTH they are talking about. Listening to these fools spout thier 'expert' insight is funnier than watching Leno, even if they sometimes evoke the disire to pepper spray your TV when they speak.:laugh:

Thomas Eisenmann

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Many self-proclaimed "experts" on TV news make me want to change my channel the Elvis Presley way.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"the downside to HD-DVD is that you won't get as many features"

I think theyre looking at what more they can do with movies in the future with bluray. Interactive films and such.

Disney for example was really interested in such things for future consideration.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this is something that is currently available on HD-DVD?

Thomas Eisenmann

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I never really put stock into what these guys say anyway. They have a 3 to 5 minute window to give some crappy synopsis of what's new in Tech and how it works and how it compares to rivals. True experts know what the issues are and apply them accordingly.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett

The thing is though, we know this to be true. What about the uniformed masses for whom this type of segment is for? They'll take it at face value, so these type of things may be more important that it seems.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
You're right in regards to getting the information to the masses, unfortunately an individual can give an accurate account on what they are reviewing. Then that will certainly give the large amount of people who use this information the correct information.

Austan

Second Unit
Real Name
austan nguyen
HD DVD has a much harder uphill battle to fight then Blu Ray. As noted on other posts and other forums, retailers have decided to give Blu Ray the shelf space and display cases while HD DVD has taken a back isle seat. Blu Rays hill to climb is more about time. Time to get players on the market, time to get 50gb discs with VC1 in mass production, time to get prices manufacturing prices down, time to deliver what was promissed.

Time does not solve HD DVD's issues.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Sure it does. Sales for both systems has been cool currently, but the fight is just beginning. Currently it is price that is moving HD-DVD quicker than BR, and will be for the next few months. BTW, the one thing the HD-DVD has over BR, it has delivered on the promises made, and it does not have to prove its technology.

While BR will get there, INHO, it will not be before HD-DVD gets a strong enough foothold to make this battle a pretty even outing. As sales increase, the exclusivity of studios to one side or the other will diminish, if not entirely vanish, and it will come down to hardware and marketing. I believe even Sony produced VHS players long before Beta was dead.

I expect by the end of the first quarter next year most studios will be releasing for both platforms, and this includes Sony Pictures. There will be too much money to lose if they don't.

Thomas Eisenmann

Austan

Second Unit
Real Name
austan nguyen

Toshiba "has delivered on the promises made" and HD DVD has already launch everything it has. And yet, "Sales for both systems has been cool currently". All the early adopters for HD DVD and Toshiba have already bought one. Time doesnt solve this problem. It is not a question of supply vs demand. Anyone can get a HD DVD player right now if they wanted one.

You can not get a Sony BDP-S1 or Panasonic DMP-BD10 or Pioneer BDP-HD1 or Philips BDP9000 (there's more also)... Keep this in mind also, on Nov 17, 2006 in just one day there will be 500,000 PS3 Blu Ray players on the market. And the reality is that if Sony could manufacture what they promised the number would have been 2 million.

Once again, time does not push the Toshiba HD DVD players to the front display cases of retail outlets. First out gate strategy means to capture as much market share as possible to be firmly entrenched into the market place. If sales "has been cool currently", it means that time is quickly disappearing for Toshiba. Time is not on Toshibas side. Time is what Blu Ray needs to catch up on promises. Time is what Blu Ray needs to launch those players.

LarryH

Supporting Actor
Even though sales of the PS3 will certainly get a large number of BD players in homes, timewise I think it will be six months or more before anyone other than game fanatics will even be able to purchase one without standing in line all night or participating in a network to get the word of upcoming deliveries. Exactly what effect this will have on the format war isn't clear to me. Time, again, will tell.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
That, and one has to assume that enough of those gamers hardcore enough to go through all that will actually be curious enough to buy movies on a BD. To me, the Playstation 3 only becomes a Blu-Ray player when the owner actually uses it to play movies. Otherwise it's just a game console with Blu-Ray capabilities. I wouldn't call my Playstation 2, X-Box, or X-Box 360 DVD players because I don't use them as such; thus, the PS3 is simply a game machine with Blu-Ray capabilties, in my opinion.

But, that's not to say that Sony won't succeed in getting said gamers to buy into the BD format. I can't predict the future; no one can. So, like you said, who knows what effect the PS3 will have on the format war?

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

In reality, they can't. Like all other companies that have released game consoles, they exagerated their capabilities (with regards to delivery expectations) just as MS did a year ago on availability. My guess is that the actual number to be in stores in the US will likely be 30% to 50% of the 400k promised on day one, numbers much more in-line with MS release numbers, and with the reported parts shortages, even that is in question. I base this only on past delivery, as the Sony release is beginning to look more and more like MS release of the 360.

Thomas Eisenmann

Austan

Second Unit
Real Name
austan nguyen

You can get Toshiba HD DVD player right now with no waiting and sales are still slow. So how does time solve that? You can not get any of the mentioned Blu Ray players until later this year. So when that time arrives, the sales of Blu Ray will go up. 50gb Blu Ray discs are hard to find right now but time will solve that issue also.

Like I stated earlier. Toshiba has entered with all guns blaring. They got first to market, lowest prices and promised technology. And all they managed was "relativity small numbers of purchases". It doesnt matter what any of us thinks/predicts/guesses. Take a good look at what the market is telling us. The market is saying that they want to push Blu Ray. Consumers have the choice of purchasing a Toshiba HD DVD player right now, but they are not flocking in large numbers. HD DVD early adoptors have already bought and what is left behing is "sideliners".

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Consumers have a choice of either BR or HD-DVD right now and they are thumbing their nose up at both. Actually, what the consumer is telling us today is for the most part, they don't give a Rat's behind about either format. They are not passionate about HD as we are.

For information on how the new HD formats are doing compared to the original DVD sales number, see link.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...advdsales.html

Thomas Eisenmann

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

One correction to this, (soon after) HD-DVD's release did include one of my fav films: Serenity.:)

Thomas Eisenmann

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks