What's new

Classics on dvd: Estrogen Overflow? (1 Viewer)

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
The title of this thread is meant in good fun, so I really hope it doesn't offend anyone. But I'm actually sort of serious:

The amount of classic releases have been pretty decent lately, but am I alone in thinking way too many of them are "women's pictures"? I don't have anything against that, but geez louise, check this out:

Dark Victory
Now Voyager
Auntie Mame
Alice Adams
Mildred Pierce
Imitation of Life
An Affair to Remember
All About Eve
42nd Street
The Bad and the Beautiful
etc etc etc.....

I like all these films, but it's about time for a testosterone fix. Where's the Cagney? Errol Flynn? How about a kick-ass adventure flick like Gunga Din or a good ol' pirate movie like Captain Blood? I'm sure I'm not alone on this.

John Watson

Screenwriter
An interesting slant on this is the "good roles for women" subject.

Personally, I want them to go back a little further and issue Pride and Prejudice with Greer Garson.

And My Little Chickadee :)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Well, at least we know The Adventures of Robin Hood is coming this Fall. :emoji_thumbsup:

I'd like to see:

"Testosterone":

The Crowd
The Roaring Twenties
White Heat
Hail the Conquering Hero
Ben-Hur (1926)
Foreign Correspondent
The Great Ziegfeld
The Cameraman
He Who Gets Slapped
The Informer
Sergeant York

"Estrogen":

Phantom Lady
Ninotchka
Gaslight
Queen Christina

....and many others

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Y'know, after posting this thread I found out Dead Reckoning, The Harder they Fall and Sirocco have all been released in the past 3 weeks. There goes my theory I guess.

BrianP

Supporting Actor
How come the Women was left off the list for female films? Not a single male in the cast but a great film. I say keep on releasing these estrogen films.

But I think we are getting a lot of new testosterone films in the next few months. I have a long list of westerns and war films on pre-order.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks