What's new

Classic Movie Boxset Recommendations (1 Viewer)

Seth.H

Agent
Love classic movies, and many of my purchases have been blind buys that I have thoroughly enjoyed. Was hoping for some recommendations as I am particularly keen to extend my collection.

On another front, which DVDs are included in the 6 disc Sophia Loren Screen Goddess collection? I have tried looking it up, but can't seem to find the movies included.

Cheers :emoji_thumbsup:

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
Not knowing what you're tastes are, I'd say pick a set from Warner Brothers and get it. I've yet to be disappointed by any of my blind buys. My favorites would be the Gangster set and the first Controversial Classics collection.

Sammy-G

Stunt Coordinator
For musicals you might try the That's Entertainment! boxed set. They're great films by themselves, but they really helped me pick out particular titles that interested me at a point when all I really knew about in musicals was Singin' in the Rain, or The Wizard of Oz - from there I built my collection. It's a great big sampler of MGM goodness.

Corey

Screenwriter
the bette davis and joan crawford collections would also be great buys to get you introduced to 2 of the most famous actresses of golden hollywood.

Tommy_K

Auditioning
I would heartily recommend the Warner Classic Comedies box set. I bought it to get Stage Door and Bringing Up Baby (double-dipping on The Philadelphia Story) and I've enjoyed all the films in the set.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Unfortunately that's not actually been released. I believe the OP was looking for recommendations on current product.

Seth, if you are a Costco member you might check out their WB selection as they have several WB sets pretty cheap right now. For example the Classic Comedies and Broadway to Hollywood sets are $19.99. Without knowing your interests it's hard to make recommendations though. What are your interests? WB has released great sets covering just about every major genre.

Mystery/Suspense: Thin Man, Noir #1/#2, Miss Marple, Hitchcock
Leading Lady: Davis, Crawford, Garbo
Leading Man: Errol Flynn, Cary Grant, Lon Chaney
Musical: Astaire/Rogers, Dream Factory
Comedy: L&H, Keaton

What's in the pipeline is even more appealing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks