What's new

Classic Film Lovers: I've got some good news then some bad news! (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The good news is that MGM is releasing several classic films on dvd on 12/11/01, however, the bad news is that except for one 1.37:1 film, most of them are 1.66:1 non-anamorphic transfers. MGM keeps releasing these films at bargain prices but I rather they charge more money for anamorphic releases. Everyone of these films can be bought after retailer discount between $11.00-15.00. The following is the list:
[*]Dodsworth (1.37:1)[*]The Defiant Ones (1.66:1)[*]Inherit the Wind (1.66:1)[*]Seperate Tables (1.66:1)[*]Witness for the Prosecution (1.66:1)[*]Topkapi (1.66:1)
Crawdaddy
------------------

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
It is too bad that these titles will not be anamorphic releases. Regardless, I will immediately purchase Inherit The Wind and Witness For The Prosecution.
Thanks, Crawdaddy!
biggrin.gif

------------------
The Dark Tower
jamaris1.jpg

Roman Polanski's - The Fearless Vampire Killers?

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
MGM keeps releasing these films at bargain prices but I rather they charge more money for anamorphic releases.
The real tragedy is that even if they create all new digital transfers for these films, they are, as a policy, refusing to release any windowboxed anamorphic transfers. Warner has this same aversion.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I'm sorry that the 16x9 TV owners will be disappointed. On the other hand, I see no bad news in this and will be buying the lot. Sorry, guys. :)
------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"People always clap for the wrong things." - The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
Anyone in the Vancouver, BC area interested in meeting up? If so, click here.
Please sign the online petition against Warner Brothers' recent non-OAR releases. Click here.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Although disappointed about no anamorphic, I will be buying Witness for the Prosecution.
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Inherit the Wind will be a must buy for me. Too bad it is not anamorphic but a little over 10 bucks this is a true bargain compared to some of the prices being asked for recent crap by studios

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Come on! Didn't anyone notice that Dvd File slipped The Party in there too? Widescreen and anamorphic!
------------------
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
The benefit of anamorphic on 1.66:1 titles is debateable anyway. Especially with many players out now that will scale like the RP-91 and the Malata.
Kevin C.

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
Why has no one yet to report that MGM is making a special edition of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels? I love this movie and have waited for the DVD for a while now.
Maybe it'll include the missing scenes that were part of the previews, but not in the actual movie...remember when Steve Martin and Michael Caine were walking along and pushed a woman off the platform and into water? hehe. This needs to be on the DVD, as this was the first time I can remember wondering "wait, what about that one scene from the previews?" Ah, nostalgia. :)

Steven Good

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steven
"Maybe it'll include the missing scenes that were part of the previews, but not in the actual movie...remember when Steve Martin and Michael Caine were walking along and pushed a woman off the platform and into water? hehe. This needs to
be on the DVD, as this was the first time I can remember wondering "wait, what about that one scene from the previews?" Ah, nostalgia."
Actually, if I remember correctly, an interview I read with Frank Oz, noted that the above-mentioned scene was shot specifically for use as the trailer, and not intended to be in the film itself.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
I also will gleefully purchase Witness for the Prosecution. I will then donate my commercial VHS copy to an area hospital that has closed circuit broadcasts to patient rooms. This is a really good thing to do with commercial tapes. They really appreciate it.
Cheers.

Christopher Bosley

Stunt Coordinator
How does the Panny RP-91's scaling feature handle 1.66:1? I have "Umbrella's of Cherbourg" but haven't tried it yet. I guess there would be some cropping at the top/bottom. Would the 4:3 setting allow the desired windowboxing.
Great news about "DRS" too.
"Your trident sir?"

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
On the rp91, with non-anamorphic 1.66, I prefer using the shrink function to see the whole picture. Just watched Some Like It Hot last night that way. Much better than zooming and having part of the top and bottom cut off.
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001
[Edited last by george kaplan on August 30, 2001 at 06:15 AM]

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The benefit of anamorphic on 1.66:1 titles is debateable anyway. Especially with many players out now that will scale like the RP-91 and the Malata.
I disagree, but won't reproduce the math in this thread. I do, however, acknowledge that as you start to drift south of about 1.60:1 (which some nominal 1.66:1 presentations such as Barry Lyndon do), the disbenefits to 4:3 set owners start to become a problem.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks