What's new

Clarification wanted on signature rules. (1 Viewer)

Dan B

Screenwriter
I was reading Ron's announcement about signatures, and wondered about this line:
Any links to a commercial website are prohibited. This is considered advertising.
I sometimes like to post a link to the website of the game I am currently playing in my signature, such as the one in my signature below. There happens to be a link to buy the game on this page. Would that make the link unacceptable? Could you define what you consider a commercial website to be?

Thanks,

-Dan B

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
A commercial web site would be one that took a member to another site to offer a product for sale. If the purpose of your link is to send a member to another site for information on your interest that is ok. But if the same link is used just to send someone to another area for the purpose of selling a product to the visitor to that site that would be prohibited.

In your case of providing a link to another site regarding the game that you are playing can you also use another link that would provide someone the same information without offering that product for sale? This forum would get no direct benefit from such a link to that other site if another member were to purchase the game while they were there. So in your case we would not allow your links to a game that you are playing as long as that site offers the game for sale on that site.

Parker

Dan B

Screenwriter
Thanks for clearing that up. I just provide the link so people can find more information on the game if they are interested, and usually you can not buy the game on that page. I have removed the link from my signature & will try to keep that in mind.
Does this mean I can still include the link in my message, but not the signature? :)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Dan:

You can include the link back to the site if someone inquires about it in the body of you message. The problem is that it is a commercial site in addition to being an information only site.

Parker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks