What's new

City of God DVD release? (1 Viewer)

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
City of God finally has a street date in Region 1: December 16th. It's up for preorder at DVD Planet and Deep Discount DVD.

No specs or artwork yet, but the SRP is $29.95.

Here is a look at the Region 2 release, which streets next week in the UK. I would expect it to be identical to the R1 release.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
IT was announced a little while ago that in Brazil, they will see an extended version in form of a 4 part mini series. Wonder if any of that will make it's way our way?

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Yes! Yes! Yes! Finally. It's about time. I've been waiting since March when I saw City of God twice back to back to own this on DVD.

If it is true that Brazilians get a 4 part mini series, hopefully, it'll be released in Region 1.

Decemeber 16th can't get here fast enough. Although I won't be able to watch it that day cause I'll be seeing all three LOTR movies on that day. :)

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Is this film up for oscars this year or was it last year?
It was eligable for Best Foriegn Picture last year but another film took the spot for Brazil (stupid Oscar rules).

This year it's eligable for Best Picture and deserves to win - but like most years, the Academy likes to snub foreign films and this probably won't even get nominated.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Hey, whatever happened to that rerelease Miramax was talking about last January? You know, to boost oscar awareness?

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Either they gave up on getting the movie a BP nomination, which it deserves, and focus on Cold Mountain, or they're going to use the DVD release to push it. Who knows with Miramax.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
I saw an ad for a theatrical opening this Friday. Not a wide release, just a limited engagement.

Rob

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
This DVD is supposed to be released in less than 1 month, and I have not heard an official announcement.

Does anyone know anything about this release?

Specs?

Why is the best film of 2003 getting ignored?

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Marc,
You'll probably be pissed but the DVD is now due Feb 17, 2004. :)

IGN is saying it contains the following:

1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen print, Dolby Digital audio and a one-hour bonus feature, News From A Personal War.
That is all the specs that are known at the moment. So what does that make it, about a year after the US release? I'm glad they at least have a rental DVD version out here in Australia. Excellent film but not the best of 2003.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info Nick.

Normally I wouldn't go nuts over waiting an extra 2 months, but this film (as you stated) was released almost a year ago in US theatres.

Seems like it's always my favorite films that keep getting delayed.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Looks like it's identical to the R2 release then.

The hour long documentary (News From A Personal War) is excellent, but has nothing to do with the film itself.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Netflix shows this as a "Feb '04" release, but I wouldn't trust that info.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks