What's new

City of Ember -- coming Oct 10, 2008! (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
City of Ember, by Jeanne DuPrau, is being given the film treatment! This is presently my favorite children's book (or perhaps tied with Bridge to Terabithia). I discovered this a few years ago, and read it with my girlfriend (now, wife). It is a wonderful, smart tale of a mysterious city surrounded by darkness, with a faltering electrical system. The two protagonists, Lina and Doon, come upon their city's history, the scope of its problems, and more...

And if the movie does well, the sequel The People of Sparks is an equally strong story.

While I wasn't crazy of the Narnia movie, Bridge was given an excellent cinematic realization, and I hope Ember is done as well or better.

Here's looking forward to another favorite childrens lit book on the silver screen next year!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Trailer is in theaters -- saw it before Indy IV -- and of course at Apple.

The casting looks good and the creation of Ember feels right. I'm very disappointed, though, in the trailer as a whole. A wonderful aspect of the book is the mystery and revelation of Ember's circumstances. But the trailer just gives it all away.

Maybe it's just necessary to reveal so much to attract a general audience. The story is probably retooled away from the mystery and more into the adventure / action aspect.

But unless the early reviews are just atrocious, I'm looking forward to seeing it. And if it does well, perhaps they'll do the equally good sequel.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I really like all of the casting that I recognize. It's nice to see Bill Murray being Bill Murray without excessive makeup or some tick to hide behind. I almost always enjoy Tim Robbins and Martin Landau. Toby Jones in Infamous was the best portrayal of Truman Capote this decade, effortless where Hoffman was strained. And Saoirse Ronan (who appears to have grown two feet in the year since Atonement) is on the verge, I think, of becoming of one the great actresses of her generation.

And I'm intrigued by the visual look of the film. So count me in, if not for the theatrical release, then definitely for a DVD rental.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks