What's new

Citation 5.1 multi-channel amp (1 Viewer)

Tim Baldwin

Stunt Coordinator
I am only owner (about one year) and it was A-stock. Has performed flawlessly in both 2-ch and HT systems. Unit, box, and manual in mint condition. Believe this link works www.citation-audio.com/cit51.html, but in case not:
Power Output: 4x100, 1x300 + 2x100, 2x300
All at 20-20kHz

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
I was wanna say...this is the first Citation 5.1 amp I have seen for sale in several months (including ebay and audiogon). For those thinking about getting a 3 channel amp to augment their receiver, get this one (HK AVR8000 owners?). Do not be fooled by the 100 watt rating. This monster has more dynamic power than higher rated amps, and any receiver. Think of the Citation 5.1 like a baby Bryston. Here are reviews of the bigger 7.1 (same design, just more output):
http://www.audioreview.com/PRD_115649_1583crx.aspx
Come on guys, don't let someone on audiogon get this! If you have a 7.1 prepro, two citations will rock with 8 channels (one for the SVS sub). I'd buy it, but I already have two of them :)

Tim Baldwin

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the testimonial Ricky ... your check's in the mail ;)
My upgrade path led me from a Yamaha receiver to a Newcastle receiver (also for sale) to supplementing with this amp. Pretty large improvement from Yammy to Newc, and even larger adding the Citation. I've driven both NHT's and ProAcs with a single channel and in bridged mode, and driven an Adire Shiva with one channel to each voice coil - in all cases driven easily with no hint of strain. I've been very, very pleased in all cases. I'm entering theater-construction mode, and am revamping my entire setup, as well as returning to a separate 2-ch setup with tubes.

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
Tim,

Sent an email also.

Are you looking to trade at all?

I have a spare Hughes E86 Platinum Direct TV HD receiver,

This was purchased 12/01

I have a spare Panasonic TUHDS20 Direct TV HD receiver,

This was purchased 11/01

I also have a under 90 day old Pronto 2k

I'm sure I can find many other things towards a trade.

Let me know what you maybe looking for.

Tim Baldwin

Stunt Coordinator
Jerry,

YGM also. Actually, I got a DirecTiVo a few months ago, so it'll be a while before I switch to another receiver. At this point I wish I'd gotten a stand-alone TiVo for just this reason. I need to look around to see if there are hacks to make this work as a standalone.

I already have a Pronto, but am seriously looking at the Harmony.

Tim

Tim Baldwin

Stunt Coordinator
I thought I'd find this a good home fairly quickly with an acquaintance here or on one of the few boards I frequent. I've got the usual unreliable responses from the big "sale" sites. I want someone to feel that they got a good deal (maybe not a steal - I'll always have a use for it somewhere), so tell me - is this overpriced? bad timing? should I shower more frequently? ;)

Tony Granatelli

Stunt Coordinator
Here's my take, from a guy who knows nothing:

Citation's reputation is fantastic. The price is not bad either (although shipping might cost a bit).

I have some trepidation about buying a 5.1 amp, even though I have no present plans to turn my 5.1 system into a 7.1 system.

If I was planning to go with separates, I'd buy this amp.

I just popped for an Onkyo 898 and will wait at least 1 year before switching to separates.

Tony

Tony Granatelli

Stunt Coordinator

Citation's reputation is fantastic. The price is not bad either (although shipping might cost a bit).

I have some trepidation about buying a 5.1 amp, even though I have no present plans to turn my 5.1 system into a 7.1 system.

I just popped for an Onkyo 898 and will wait at least 1 year before switching to separates.

Tony

Tony Granatelli

Stunt Coordinator

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks