What's new

Chicago(1927) (1 Viewer)

StarDestroyer52

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
It seems like Flicker Alley is releasing the 1927 Chicago. It's not listed on their website, but a listing is up on Amazon. I can't tell if it will be pressed or a BD-R. I sent an inquiry to them on Facebook and they generally in my experience have always been superfast in answering my inquiries.

71hP8FZ-iDL._SL1229_.jpg

Source: Amazon Listing

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I listed it on our Pre-Order listing earlier today. I always thought Flicker Alley discs were pressed.

StarDestroyer52

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
I listed it on our Pre-Order listing earlier today. I always thought Flicker Alley discs were pressed.

Sorry, didn't see the one listing. They also have an MOD line too. It's the MD3 that is throwing me off, when it's a MOD disc it is usually something like FA-MOD-000 but when it's a pressed disc it goes FA0000. Also, I can't find the title on their webstore.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sorry, didn't see the one listing. They also have an MOD line too. It's the MD3 that is throwing me off, when it's a MOD disc it is usually something like FA-MOD-000 but when it's a pressed disc it goes FA0000. Also, I can't find the title on their webstore.

StarDestroyer52

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John

Whoops, I forgot all about the separate article for pre-order listings even though its in your signature, it's been that type of night where my brain is not thinking. I meant to say I didn't see a thread posted in the forum. Sorry, I should've been clearer.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
A quick check of the Flicker Alley Blu-Rays I have quick access to indicates that the MD code means they are BD-R (eg Valentino Vol 1)
1601094550726.png

FA + a number (Cinerama titles) are pressed ...
1601094643442.png

StarDestroyer52

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
A quick check of the Flicker Alley Blu-Rays I have quick access to indicates that the MD code means they are BD-R (eg Valentino Vol 1)
View attachment 79160

FA + a number (Cinerama titles) are pressed ...
View attachment 79161

That's what I feared and assumed. Some MOD titles are FA-MOD-[number] and then some are also FA-MD3-[number]. I assumed all the MOD titles were labeled FA-MOD-[number] but it seems all that is there's two different codes for MOD titles.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
They told me months ago that it was coming via BDr. I was going to order the DVD but I decided to check with them first. And they replied saying Chicago was coming and it would be a BDr. It might still be a BDr as far as I know, but it's still cheaper than the DVD.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Does it really matter if it's a pressed disc versus BD-R?
Some players won't play BD-Rs and as I have used BD-Rs to save personal data backups, I can say I have been able to get rid of the -R part by soaking them in soapy water for a few days, leaving only the plastic base and a blue liquid left. But that was intentional ....

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I have the original Flicker Alley DVD release. It's a good film based on the play that was also used for Wellman's Roxie Hart. The musical, though based on the same case, is a different beast.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This is something I would be very interested in seeing at least once because I love the musical version, but I am not sure if I would want to buy it.

Is this something that will also be made available for digital rental? I know Flicker Alley is small so they might not do that.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Did anyone purchase this release ? I saw Amazon reviews and they are all negative to average. Can anyone here vouch for this release ?

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
^^^

The reviews of the film are good, but most of the negative reviews for the Blu-ray are that it is a burned disc and not pressed. I've never had a problem with burned discs and I have never found a source that says there's a different quality in what you're seeing based on if it's burned or pressed. It seems to me that this is one of those memes that's been spread around that many believe to be true, but isn't. Or should I add "maybe?"

In any case, I may get the DVD instead, because it has more extra features than the Blu-ray does, I don't know. What I'm a bit more interested in is the score accompanying it.

I saw this film at AMPAS near 15 years ago! 2006, maybe? In the notes of the program it says "The 1928 original film version of Chicago will be screened with live Jazz Age musical accompaniment by Johnny Crawford and his Orchestra at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences."

(Most sources I see list it as a 1928 film.) I'm wondering what the score is like on this release, as I liked the accompaniment that was featured with this screening.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks