What's new

Check out this new 12" driver (1 Viewer)

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
Brian, yes. I had a call on my voicemail after I got off the phone with you. UPS temporarily suspended my account. I have to get them a payment on monday so they will ship things out again. Unfortunately I'm supporting my ex-gf in Ohio right now. She's having my baby girl Hannah Marie in october. Until Hannah comes back to live with me when she's 6 weeks old, I'm paying everything for my ex. With paying off the final $500 on her car, the extra $800 a month I'm paying for her rent, and the $1000 cell phone bill she ran up over the past two months, I'm tapped out, and some bills have slipped here. That's a lot of money that normally would have gone to my bills, but now goes to her. Unfortunately UPS was one of them that I missed. I'll be getting it straightened out monday. Sorry for the delay in getting that to you.

John

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
These look very promising. That's almost 50% (3db+) more displacement than a Tempest! If only I had the money for one of those mondo amplifiers...

What will the regular price for the 15" version be?

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
Michael,

Regular price on the 15" will be $205 I think. Still waiting for a final pricing because the cones are being made specifically for this woofer. The preorder price will remain the same either way though.

John

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
For anyone interested, I finally got the information page up on my website for these woofers. It has all the updated parameters, graphs of the various alignments, comparisons to the other popular DIY woofers, etc.
http://www.stryke.com/AVseries.html
Pictures will be uploaded Wed night assuming the 12" woofer gets here when it should.
John

DavidY

Supporting Actor
What are the recommended enclosure sizes, sealed and ported, for car and home sub applications?

Dave

A

Anthony_Gomez

yup...pretty much..and with a much lower Le
you'll just have to EQ the lower end, but you won't have to worry about the inductance anymore :)
I am almost tempted to pick up the 12's to see how they are. My enclosures are perfect at 70L.....EQing is easy:)
..but I think I will wait till I see the next generation in motors before I buy another sub:D

ChristopherW

Agent
John,

I have one of your thunder 12 enclosures(1 12" 2 15"PRs) with an internal vol. of 2.4 cu. ft. Its made of 2 layers of 3/4 inch MDF and measures 21x15x17.5 externally. I was wondering how you feel this new driver would work in this enclosure vs. your other drivers. Also what do you think is the best weight for the PRs? I was thinking between 1500-1650g. How much power does the new driver require?

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
..but I think I will wait till I see the next generation in motors before I buy another sub
I know what you mean, my subs skip generations too. :) I can't afford not to.
My next 15 will be...well, you know what it'll be, but I may pick up one of these twelves since I've got a PR box and a 5ft^3/18Hz vented box to try it in.

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
DavidY,

Check the link I posted for suggested enclosures. The sealed Qtc .7 enclosures would work very well in a car. If you have more room, the sealed Qtc .5 enclosures may sound even better. I know lots of people using Qtc .5 enclosures for SQ competition. As far as other car applications, the small 16" cube enclosure with dual 12" PR's makes a killer little car sub. I have a 15" cube with the SAE1204 and 2 12" PR's in my 91 Civic HB, and I can get about 135dB at 20Hz in the car!! This woofer in the slightly larger enclosure would be capable of even more.

Christopher,

This woofer should work out well in that enclosure. With 1600grams per PR you'll get an F3 point of about 20.5Hz. You should be very happy with this.

Anthony,

I do have some plans in the works for my new ultimate woofers. Hopefully I will be able to get something rolling and be able to offer the less expensive woofers for delivery around Christmas. The basic reason for these new underhung designs was to basically build the ultimate woofer, no compromises. Others have claimed to be building the ultimate woofer, but have some serious flaws in their design that most people are not aware of. A flat BL curve is a good thing, but there are several ways to get it, and some of these methods used recently lead to other distortion related issues.

I will say that what we are doing will not lead to these issues. I plan to have two different series of woofers, one that will be likely in the $250-$300 range. These will be an underhung design, 1.4" gap plate, and .7" long VC, similar to the Audiomobile woofers, and some used by SVS. These current woofers end up with 20+mm Xmag verified by DUMAX, and have a relatively flat BL curve. Through contouring of the OUTSIDE of the gap, we are able to steer some extra flux to the ends of the gap and into the fringe field. As the VC goes outward there is now more flux to keep the BL curve linear. We should be able to get up to about 22mm Xmag without the BL curve decreasing more than 5%. Others use a method that takes steel away from the INSIDE of the gap. This in turn just chops off the top of the BL curve, and a great deal of overall motor strength is lost, leading to more distortion. Also, taking away steel from the inside now leaves a very large air gap. In this gap there is no steel to damp the modulation of the flux field, again, leading to more distortion. When the outside of the gap plate is contoured, no BL is removed from the center of the gap. Also any flux field modulation is damped in the steel, so there are no extra distortions added. Most likely we will also implement a copper faraday to further lower distortion.

The other woofer is one that I feel will set a new standard for high end woofers. The woofer will be based around the TC Sounds 4HP motor that uses the large 10" diameter magnets and weighs in at over 70lbs. It will also be an underhung design, but unlike any other seen. We will be starting with a 2.8" thick gap plate and a .8" coil. The gap plate has been designed to give a perfectly linear B field distribution throughout it's full range. This means that there is a full 25.4mm of travel in each direction before the BL even decreases 1%!!! Through contouring of the OUTSIDE of the gap as stated above we can also steer extra flux to the fringe field without affecting anything in the gap. We are able to get up to about 35mm and keep BL within 5% of it's value at the center. Again, this is without adding any further distortion.

The VC used will actually be a 4" diameter coil. Because it is a short underhung coil, Le will still remain low, but power handling and power compression will not be an issue. A large copper faraday along the lines of what is uses in drivers by Skaaning, and the Lambda Apollo woofers will also be used to further lower distortion and inductance.

TC sounds is the only company I am aware of that has both the suspension and basket to allow for this extremely high excursion. Companies like Rockford Fosgate use a similar basket, but pay for it because the tooling is owned by TC.

For over a year now, we have had the suspension used on the HE15 that has given an Xsus of 43mm verified by DUMAX. The large 2" diameter roll foam surround is going to be replaced by a new surround that TC is tooling currently. It has a profile that will allow for the same Sd as a standard 1.5" roll surround, but will still allow for over 40mm or travel. The large 10" diameter spiders with the woven in lead wires again are also capable of 40+ mm.

The cones will be a new honeycomb composite material that TC will have in the next few months. This material is stronger than their titanium cones, lighter, and also very well damped. With the multiple layer honeycomb, there is virtually no cone breakup at all. Think of constrained layer damping in a woofer cone. The surround is also a composite material and is very well damped so surround resonance is nearly eliminated as well.

As i said before, it won't be a budget driver, but it will be made with no compromises. Our HE15 is a great high excursion woofer, but the high Le causes a bump in response taht needs to be EQ'd out. This woofer won't have those problems. Drivers like the Skanning and Lambda woofers sound amazing because of their motor designs, but don't have the high excursion. We are taking what they have done and are applying it to this new high excursion woofer. We are working to get an extremely flat BL curve out to 35mm, but are doing it without compromising other issues that lead to distortion.

There will be 18" and 15" versions. The 18" will be capable of about 8.4L of displacement at 35mm. The 15" capable of about 5.6L displacement at 35mm. Again, keep in mind, that at 35mm the BL will still be at 95% of it's rest value. These drivers should debut sometime next year. Hope that's enough to tease some people for now. :)

John

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
There will be 18" and 15" versions. The 18" will be capable of about 8.4L of displacement at 35mm. The 15" capable of about 5.6L displacement at 35mm. Again, keep in mind, that at 35mm the BL will still be at 95% of it's rest value. These drivers should debut sometime next year. Hope that's enough to tease some people for now. :)
Yeah, that's enough. :)
As far as the current pre-order for the 12" and 15", will DUMAX be available before the pre-order is over?

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
Jack,

Basically you get more distortion over the entire excursion range than you would with even a standard driver like the HE15, or a standard underhung like the TC underhungs that SVS uses. I'm not exactly sure of the order of the distortion, but the overall levels are higher. You really need a 3D distortion vs drive level vs frequency plot to see everything, not just a distortion vs excursion plot. You can take just about any driver and have one frequency where distortion is low out to Xmax, but this means nothing at the other frequencies. Once my new underhung drivers are ready to roll out I'll have data from a 3rd party showing the distortion plots, and how the other drivers compare.

I do plan to have Klippel data on the new AV12 and AV15 as well. I'll be having that done once the production versions are done because I will only have one sample here that I can't really give up. Unfortunately I won't have this data until people have their drivers.

John

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks