What's new

Cheap tablet for Plex WiFi streaming? (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I'm kind of surprised no one mentioned an Amazon Fire Tablet, which does have a Plex app available.

The HD8 is $59.99 and the new HD10 can be pre-ordered for $149.99 and releases on 10/30.

Oh, and the Apple TV app should be coming to Fire devices soon (it already launched on Roku).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Aww man, I just got the iPad.

Haven’t opened it yet so I could initiate a return. I just did a quick google search on Plex on Fire and the reviews were...not kind.

My wife and I both have regular Kindles of different generations and while I love the e-Ink display on those devices, I don’t love Amazon’s interface. Which may be totally different than on Fire.

I’ll think on this for a little bit before I unwrap the shrink wrap, but I’m leaning towards keeping it. I know I’m happy in the ecosystem and happy with how my (newish) phone handles all the video apps that I’d use on the iPad, and there’s probably something to be said for the ease of turning on a thing you know and having it work as you like/expect right out of the box.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
If they had something with the screen of the old Kindle Fire HDX I'd consider it, but the screen quality of the last several generations have been terrible (relatively). My wife's Kindle HD was great (HDX was killer) and I could see it working nicely as a small screen.

After they discontinued that line and went really cheap, I was mortified by how bad the 8-10 in models looked even on browsers and I can't imagine that lack of quality for a Video. When her heavily used 2012 model crashed a couple years ago, I bought her an 8 inch model and lasted about 2 weeks before I took it back and she went with an Ipad Mini instead

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I decided to keep the iPad and I’m glad I did. It set up super easy and I was using it about five minutes out of the box. Quality is great, no playback issues whatsoever. And since I’m already in the Apple ecosystem, if I ever want to use it for more than Plex and iTunes I can.

I’m also impressed by the WiFi signal it gets. It pulls in a much stronger signal with better data transfer rates than other devices in the same areas of the apartment. It gets significantly better reception in the bedroom than the Roku does. This had been a mild concern of mine and I’m relieved that it hasn’t been an issue at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks